• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Getting and Keeping water hardness down

carrieann

5 Year Member
Hello Everyone,

I am in the process of getting my apisto tank set up. Its been cycling for about 5 days now with a bag filled with peat. While my KH has lowered significantly (125 ppm to 98 ppm, still a ways to go, I know) my GH has remained the same at 150ppm. Should I get another filter bag and put more peat in it? Should I employ the use of the different Blackwater extracts around? I live in North Dakota and have an abundance of snow at my fingertips-how would I go about using it?

Thanks everyone, this is a great forum...I've learned so much already!

PS: I have not put any plants in the tank yet-will this affect the hardness at all?

Neil

carrieann,

WELCOME TO THE FORUM

What species are you interested in keeping in your tank. You may not be far off from where you want to be already. Using more peat or blackwater extract and lowering the hardness or pH more should probably not be done unless necessary. Plants can affect hardness, but usually not much, so I wouldn't factor them into the whole softening issue too much. They certainly can be beneficial on numerous other levels, as well though.
As far as using snow, there are probably a few things to consider. First, be sure that it is freshly fallen! Second, warm it up a little before you put it in the tank - little joke :? Third, be sure that the chemistry that you achieve via the use of snow is somewhat easily replicated once it is gone. Spring will come, even to N. Dakota, and you will need to have a back up. I guess when the snow end the rains might continue and rainwater is just as good.

Thanks everyone, this is a great forum...I've learned so much already!

Thank you! I am glad that you have been finding it helpful. I do too.

Neil

carrieann

5 Year Member
I am most interested in getting viejita's. Not sure how many I shoud get though.

Ah, the snow. We just had a blizzard here, so right now, getting fresh snow will be quite easy as there is close to two feet on the ground. But you are right, spring will come some time, so I probably won't even bother with it.

Thanks again!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….