• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

German blue ram- ovipositor?

S

sunnysmom

My female g.b. ram has her ovipositor (I think) sticking out. It's been out for a week, but she's not spawning or anything. Is this normal, or is she sick?

S

farm41

5 Year Member
She's ready to spawn. They are probably trying to find a suitable spot. Do you have a flat rock or some wood in the tank?

S

sunnysmom

just put in a cross-section of geode. Only flat smooth rock I had. Now the male is chasing her around the tank, and she is swimming backward in front of him. Spawning behavior?

There is also a fairly large piece of driftwood, but my bristlenose has made that his home.

S

S

sunnysmom

gravel, is that a problem? I'm new to dwarf cichlids, and these are supposed to be quarantining. They will eventually be in the big tank with a flourite substrate and plants. They just are anxious to get started I guess.

S

farm41

5 Year Member
Yes they are anxious, and they will probably spawn many times. I just keep a sand in 1/3 of my 20g long when I want to breed them, and then for growout I just pull the parents and keep them in the 20L. I wouldn't worry about it, but if you want, get a couple pounds of sand and dump in one end, they will like it.

Neil

sunnysmom,

WELCOME TO THE FORUM

Sounds like spawning behavior and physiology to me. They would probably benefit froma cup or 2 of sand dumped into a specific area of the tank. It is much easier for them to make a pit that way. Otherwise the fry may filter through the courser gravel and be lost. Although it is not absolutely necessary. The geode will probably be fine for a spawning surface.
Keep us informed and good luck!
Neil[/list]

S

sunnysmom

thanks for the welcome. they spawned and somebody ate the eggs. I'm betting on the corys. Oh well, not really set up right now for fry. But it's good to see they paired up. They laid the eggs on some filter media that I stuck in to ripen for a new tank. Weird!

Not sure the eggs would have made it anyways. I've had a little bit of nitrite the last few days in this tank. Frustrating.

S

Randall

5 Year Member
Ram Spawn

Dear Sunnysmom,

Well, sorry it didn't work out this time, but at least you now know that you have a compatible pair. They'll get it together the next time, when you're better prepaired as well.

Good luck!

Randall Kohn

S

sunnysmom

yeah, I know they are sensitive. The nitrite is going back down today. The only thing I can figure is my bioload was very low. I only had 2 corys in, and I put 2 rams in thereby increasing the bioload by 100%. I guess it was some sort of mini-cycle. If I ever do that again with rams, I will move out the same # I put in so I don't get a spike.

It's irritating, but I'll deal, and hope I don't lose anyone.

S

S

sunnysmom

oh yeah, and it's a fairly new tank, but it had already cycled the month before. Shouldn't have happened.

S

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kanihong

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….