• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

fry behaviour of dorsigera

uberape

hi, after my dorsigera failed to look after fry in a community tank (a community tank is not a breeding tank), I did some reading (dwarf cichlids-horst linke) and read that they were collected in water with a very low visability. The fry behaviour was described as chaotic and difficult for the parents to control. I observed this and thought that this is probably why they were so unsuccsesful with my tetra around. Do you think that the low visability can explain why dorsigera fry have not evolved the defensive and ordered behaviour of say agazzi fry? Is there a colleration between clear water dwarfs, cave spawning and ordered fry behaviour v murky water, open spawning, chaotic fry behaviour?? or could it be the type of fry predators in their respective regions? perhaps dorsigera deal more with slow swimming substrate-bound catfish?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Female A. borellii are some of the most diligent parents in the apisto world. They are often reported to take care of fry of other species and genera - and even guard clumps of tubifex worms. In the 'old days' breeders often used A. borellii females as surrogate mothers for other species that were not as easy to reproduce. A. borellii is found in many of the same biotopes as L. dorsigera, so the environment and predators are basically the same. My guess is that the clarity of the water is not a major influence on paternal care. My guess is that species that produce up to 500 fry in a spawn can afford to be more casual in their brood care. L. dorsigera is not "the brightest candle on the birthday cake" by any stretch of the imagination. Collector can collect them by hand by just putting some food in their open palm and letting the dorsigera jump in. This is why they are often called 'Acara bobo' (stupid cichlid) by the locals.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csteele

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….