• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

FREE FISH

themountain

5 Year Member
Then why am I spending 4 weeks collecting new apistogramma species (hopefully) in Peru during September??;) Honestly, Peru has some amazing apistos that are easy to get right outside of Iquitos.
Unfortunately that I live in Lima though and the shops here cant sell this kind of fish because to the last of them they are exported :mad:

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Round trip LAN flight from Lima to Iquitos is ~$250/800 Soles. Add another $250 for living expenses for a week. I know it seems like a lot but if you brought back only 100 fish and could sell most of them in Lima, you would pay ~$5/16 Soles/fish. It's just a thought. My trips? I calculate that I pay ~$150/fish. Expensive fish but well worth the experience for me. Just think, almost stepped on by water buffaloes in your sleep (poor TomC), stepping over deadly Fer-de-Lance pit vipers, and being eaten a alive by swarms of mosquitoes who think insect repellant is a condiment? Priceless.:)

rr16

5 Year Member
Round trip LAN flight from Lima to Iquitos is ~$250/800 Soles. Add another $250 for living expenses for a week. I know it seems like a lot but if you brought back only 100 fish and could sell most of them in Lima, you would pay ~$5/16 Soles/fish. It's just a thought. My trips? I calculate that I pay ~$150/fish. Expensive fish but well worth the experience for me. Just think, almost stepped on by water buffaloes in your sleep (poor TomC), stepping over deadly Fer-de-Lance pit vipers, and being eaten a alive by swarms of mosquitoes who think insect repellant is a condiment? Priceless.:)

Sounds like my dream. Part of me wishes I'd kept up on the research side of things as could have ended up working in Peru. Still, I'll go one day!

rr16

5 Year Member
I recently bought some N. rubrocaudatus, so am hoping to be able to keep them ok. Had never taken an interest in pencils until I swapped a load of Poecillia wingei fry at an lfs for some N. beckfordi. Have liked pencils ever since. Only have those two species and N. eques (which were exhibiting spawning behaviour yesterday but couldn't see any eggs), but hoping to get some N. nitidus soon. Will be interesting to see what other fish you guys come across too.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dkalmanson

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….