• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Fish in with breeding pair or raise up tank?

josh43

I'm planning on removing the male once I see fry in the tank and then transferring the fry to a raise up tank after I guess 2-3 weeks (new at this - should it be longer?). Question: Could I keep something like a pleco (or another fish) in my raise up tank? Is there anything that would like the water parameters (PH 6.8, 81degres) and won't eat the fry or is this just a terrible idea? Also curious if anyone has any kind of algae eaters in their breeding tanks?

Thanks very much!

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I would keep the fry with their mother as long as possible, at least until they start wandering away from her care. I have never used plecos in a grow-out tank. My go-to clean up crew is either snails or cory cats.

josh43

I would keep the fry with their mother as long as possible, at least until they start wandering away from her care. I have never used plecos in a grow-out tank. My go-to clean up crew is either snails or cory cats.
Thanks - So I would be safe with some Adolfo cory's in with the fry in the grow out tank?

Adolfo's​

josh43

Yes, if the fry cannot fit in the corys' mouths. I would recommend removing corys once the apistos look like they are interested in breeding.
My plan is to remove teh male when the female starts teh fry tour. Then once the female stops caring for the fry I would move them into the grow up tank, which is where I want to keep the cory cats. so 3 tanks - Breediong tank with male and female - no other fish - Male tank - where I put the male when the female has fry - no other fish - Grow up tank - for when I separate the roughly 2-3 week old fry from their mom and put them in their own tank. This is the tank I want to put something else like cory cats in. Do you think that woudl work?

yukondog

5 Year Member
I may have missed it but what type of apisto is it? It should work but in the tank with just the female and fry if the female is not eating them I normally like to leave them with her for about 5-6 weeks, unless your female is like one of mine [Hongsloi] and likes to eat them after about 3-4 weeks.

josh43

I may have missed it but what type of apisto is it? It should work but in the tank with just the female and fry if the female is not eating them I normally like to leave them with her for about 5-6 weeks, unless your female is like one of mine [Hongsloi] and likes to eat them after about 3-4 weeks.
apistograma cocatodies

I was wanting to put the cory cats in with the grow up tank after I separate them from the mom - so it would just be cory cats and fry that are at least 3 weeks old. Sounds like that will work!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….