• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

First time keeping apistos, need help

canon8838

5 Year Member
I am 16 and right now i keep Lake Tanganyikan shell dwellers and other neolamprologus species. I keep all of my tanks planted with anubias, cryps, java moss, and java fern. I have an empty 20g long that i would like to put some apistos in. My tap water has a ph. of 7.6-7.8, and i not sure on the hardness. I was thinking about apisto. cacatuiodes. I would like to get a species that would work and spawn with my tap, but if it is not possible i will mix with rain water or R/O.

My tank will be setup with some plants, sand, few rocks, and clay pots

-Does the tank setup seem fine?

-what species of apistogramma should i get, and what should the m/f ratio be?

-Also is there anything special i should know about spawning them? and how long does it take for fry to grow to 3/4-1 in.?

thanks,
canon8838

Neil

canon8838,

WELCOME TO THE FORUM

My tank will be setup with some plants, sand, few rocks, and clay pots

-Does the tank setup seem fine?

Yes, simple is best. A fully planted aquarium is nice, but a heck of alot more work. I like the movable decorations (rocks, wood, caves) on a thin layer of sand or fine gravel for easy cleaning. And this is important to you. With a pH or 7.5+ and probably pretty hard water, it is even more important that you keep your water quality high by regular exchanges of water and good cleaning management in the tank.

-what species of apistogramma should i get, and what should the m/f ratio be?

Well, there are several that you can get, but the best is probably cacatuoides for your water conditions. I like rafael's suggestion, but I doubt seriously whether you will find this apisto at your LFS. Several species will probably be OK in your tap, but cacatuoides may be the most likely to breed (although may not have nearly as positive results as if they were in softer, more acidic water). The m/f ratio is up to you because cacatuoides can harem spawn, but I would start with a pair or a trio in your set up.

-Also is there anything special i should know about spawning them? and how long does it take for fry to grow to 3/4-1 in.?

Just start with healthy fish and feed them a varied diet and make sure you perform regular water changes. Your water is not ideal, so your next step may be to experiment with altering your tap water. This not only will provide more optimum conditions for a fish like cacatuoides, but also open up your potential to successfully work with many other Apistogramma species.
Fry growth rate is determined by species, water quality and diet. So that is a tough question. 3 to 4 months is a reasonable guess.

Very admirable that you have the maturity to research the requirements of species before you jump into them. You probably have a good fish-breeding career ahead of you.

Good luck,
Neil

canon8838

5 Year Member
thank you for replying. I am possitive i am going to go with cacatuoides, but i would like to know what the other types of apistos were that would work with my tap for future keeping?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….