• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

First time Dwarf tank. Have stock ideas, looking for opinions please.................

Lucky7777

The tank they will be in is 48 US Gallons and measurements are 39.4 x 15.8 x 19.7.

Fish I want to put in it are

5 - Apisto Cacatoides (Triple red)
5 - Bolivian Rams
3 to 5 - Panda Cory's
5 - Serpa Tetras
10 - Cardinal Tetras
1- Algae Eater of some sort ??????

I've ever been an African Cichlid guy and how know Idea about space requirements for a community tank. From what I read this seems like it should be ok. The one concern I had is the Cardinals seem to be the only ones that require a lower PH.

Any opinions on the amounts or types of fish?

Any opnions on male to female ratios for the apisto's or rams?

Thanx for any help.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Rift Lake cichlids are very different from SA cichlids. SA cichlids do not adapt to high density habitats well. Personally you have too many bottom dwelling fish and not enough mid to upper level fish. Breeding will be very unlikely in such a tank. If it were my tank, I would have 6-8 Panda Corys, 3 male apistos of different species and shapes, at least 10 Serpae Tets (otherwise they 'pick' on other fish), 12+ Cardinals, and ignore algae eaters unless you have plants. With plants, I'd have 6 Otocinclus. BTW if Cardinals are slowly acclimated to higher pH and hardness values, they do just fine.

Lucky7777

Thanx for the help

after thinking about it a while longer i ended up with a completely different stock.

currently i have in the tank

1 male Bolivian ram
1 male apisto triple red
1 male apisto hongsloi
1 male apisto veijita II
1 male krib
4 panda corys
12 cardinals

it's been Weeks And they all seem too get along fine. a little concerned about space once they grow out a bit, but i guess time will tell.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Yes, 2 more corys should be welcome to the school. Your tank seems a bit 'sparse' in top swimming fish. You might consider more cardinals or a school of some other species.

Lucky7777

Yes, 2 more corys should be welcome to the school. Your tank seems a bit 'sparse' in top swimming fish. You might consider more cardinals or a school of some other species.
I was thinking maybe a school of hatchets but they are kind of ugly. My cardinals ten to be more mid level then anything and I would like something at the top. Any suggestions?

Am I not pushing my limits for stock. Seems OK now but when they all grow out?

Lucky7777

Thanx for the suggestions.

I decided on a group of marble hatchets. Are they really that bad of jumpers ? Do they actually try to jump during feeding's if they get spooked? Are they annoying to keep or is more if there isn't a proper Canopy that is sealed tight that they will eventually get out? Just wondering ?

Linus_Cello

5 Year Member
I've had my harble hatchets in a community tank for over 1.5 years. No problems with jumping, but I do have floating plants, there is about 2-2.5" gap between the top of the tank and the top of the water line, and everything is tightliy covered. I'd make sure you have a tight cover, and perhaps add some floating plants for the fish to feel more secure.

Lucky7777

after a couple week .in quarantine just added 4 marbeled hatchets (had bought more but some died) and 3 more panda coreys. I also have had my almond leavez in for a.few Weeks now and im wondering if it is.possible to have to many in a tank ay once. i have 15 6 inclh leaves in there and would still like it to be darker. they do love the leaf bed :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….