• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

First Time Breeding

Kazarak

I have a pair of Apistogramma Baenschi that attempted/are attempting to breed. I have never done this and neither have they. I got the female 3-4 weeks ago and she has been coloring up slowly. On Friday they did what I was thinking was spawning activity (she was in the cave and he was trying to get in/appearing to fertilize the eggs from outside the cave). She was very defensive of the cave and stayed in it yesterday only popping out momentarily. Today she is out and about more which I understand means the eggs likely didn't make it. I didn't expect this go around to be a success anyway. My question is whether or not the first time is kinda clunky for them. Even now she doesn't seem to have slimmed down much and her color is still quite bright. Is it possible that they didn't actually do the deed? I've included the pictures so you can see current color on the female and because I think the male looks really good lol. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

20200813_200049000_iOS.jpg
IMG_0725.jpg

yukondog

5 Year Member
What size tank are they in? With colors like that I would think there going to or have, if you see her disappear dont worry, if she is on eggs you may not even see her come out till the fry are ready, do you have food for the fry, if it happens?

Kazarak

They are in a 16 gallon tank. I have freeze dried BBS on hand if that'll work otherwise I can go get whatever I need at pretty short notice. What food do you reccomend?

yukondog

5 Year Member
I use live bbs for me it's the easiest, I normally have a batch going 2-3 times a week, but I feed a lot of fry.
With that small of a tank watch for aggression, sometimes once the fry come she may not want him around, and without anywhere to go to get out of the way could be trouble. I use 10 gl. but remove the male at first sign of chasing, Do you have another tank?

Last edited:

Kazarak

I have two others. Her behavior already has been to chase him off. I have the bottom of the tank very busy so he has plenty of ways to get away. So far she only defends the immediate area around the cave. if need be I can move him.

Kazarak

I use live bbs for me it's the easiest, I normally have a batch going 2-3 times a week, but I feed a lot of fry.
With that small of a tank watch for aggression, sometimes once the fry come she may not want him around, and without anywhere to go to get out of the way could be trouble. I use 10 gl. but remove the male at first sign of chasing, Do you have another tank?
A little update. The bottom glass on my 16 gallon cracked on Wednesday so everyone is now in a 20 gallon long aquarium with a sponge filter that happened to be vacant. I am thinking of getting most if not all other fish out of this aquarium as the 16 was previously a community tank. Do you have any other fish in your breeding tanks? Any cleanup crew for algae or anything?

yukondog

5 Year Member
Do you have any other fish in your breeding tanks? Any cleanup crew for algae or anything?
Myself I dont have anything in with the fry till after there about 2-3 weeks and then I use a couple of cory's for clean up crew, but if there free swimming good vac. and water changes should work just fine, but i still like a couple of cory's in with them, thats just me.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….