• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Female or male cockatoo??

huntermac

Hello, I am brand new to both aspistos and this forum so please bare with me lol. My local fish store sold me this pair of cockatoos 4 days ago and after much research I see that many people get "sneaker males". Their behavior is as follows; they will be next to each other peacefully for a few moments, then the male will flare his fins and gills, do a sort of tail slap at her until she swims away and then chase her, looks like he tries to nip her tail, then he lets her swim off. Then the process continues and this goes on all day. Is this normal behavior? Attached is a photo of the pair. Please let me know what you think!! Thank you!

IMG-3560.PNG

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
Normal behaviour if they are male and female, and that is certainly what they look like.

He is try to look as big and impressive as possible, and presumably wafting pheromones at her, she looks like she will be receptive fairly soon.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:

huntermac

Hi all,
Normal behaviour if they are male and female, and that is certainly what they look like.

He is try yo look as big and impressive as possible, and presumably wafting pheromones at her, she looks like she will be receptive fairly soon.

cheers Darrel

Darrel,
Awesome! Thank you for the reply I have been watching them every chance I get while im home because i did not want him to be hurting her or something lol.

huntermac

Welcome to the sight huntermac,
Do you have any caves or coconut shell in with them for her to breed in?

I have that drift wood in the background of the pic and it has a "cave" running through it, on the other side of my tank (20g long) i have a few rocks and a drift wood root for a make shift cave as well. Should i get like a real ceramic cave? Would that help?? Thanks for the reply

yukondog

5 Year Member
Anything that conceals the female and eggs/fry will work, I have had them lay between the glass and sponge filter, under leaves but mostly I use coconut halves.

huntermac

Anything that conceals the female and eggs/fry will work, I have had them lay between the glass and sponge filter, under leaves but mostly I use coconut halves.

update; before I could get to a store to get them a legit breeding cave, I could not find the female anywhere last night. I thought she was dead somewhere so I looked around for 20 min and finally she stuck her head out from behind a piece of drift wood. Seems like she was moving gravel with her mouth from under the wood. This morning she was still there and would not come out to eat or anything. Any thoughts??

yukondog

5 Year Member
Chances are she is about to lay or looking for a place, if she does not come out dont worry, if she is on eggs you may not see her for about 7 days, she may turn yellow most do, but if there first batch dont work out dont worry about it sometimes it takes a batch or two, do you have food for them yet? I may have missed it but what size tank?

huntermac

Chances are she is about to lay or looking for a place, if she does not come out dont worry, if she is on eggs you may not see her for about 7 days, she may turn yellow most do, but if there first batch dont work out dont worry about it sometimes it takes a batch or two, do you have food for them yet? I may have missed it but what size tank?

Ah ok good to know! I have yet to get a good look at her to be honest because she is between the back glass and back of the drift wood, only saw her in the reflection of the back glass. I do not have food for them. Will I need a separate tank set up for them to be put in? MY stock is pair of cockatoos, 10 rummy nose tetras, (and overflow from my old tank); 1 ADF, 3 zebra danios and 2 cory cats. I plan on finding the over flow members a new home soon. My tank is a 20g long planted. Aquaclear 50 and tank is at 80F. I will attach a photo below of the setup.
61945977075--EBDE3C0A-9E21-4771-ABBF-B156D75AA976.jpg

yukondog

5 Year Member
Chances are with the rummynose and zebra you may not have any/many fry left, once they pair up and breed they never stop [at least mine dont].
Do you know how to hatch brine shrimp?

huntermac

Chances are with the rummynose and zebra you may not have any/many fry left, once they pair up and breed they never stop [at least mine dont].
Do you know how to hatch brine shrimp?

Ok i see. I am going to try to get a coconut cave today after work and while im there I will see if the shop will take my zebras back from me. I have never dealt with BS but i can definitely learn more on it and try. If fry do survive, will I need to move them or anything?

yukondog

5 Year Member
P1010159.JPG She will turn yellow like this [not cacatuoides] I had a Hongsloi that would turn canary yellow when she was on fry. I have a female cac. on fry and I'll try to get a pict. of her.
BBS are simple to do, just do a google search on hatching, I use the simple [ceap] two litre bottles. You might be able to get eggs from your local shop and make the rest, once you watch homemade hatchery you'll see how easy it is.

huntermac

View attachment 9306 She will turn yellow like this [not cacatuoides] I had a Hongsloi that would turn canary yellow when she was on fry. I have a female cac. on fry and I'll try to get a pict. of her.
BBS are simple to do, just do a google search on hatching, I use the simple [ceap] two litre bottles. You might be able to get eggs from your local shop and make the rest, once you watch homemade hatchery you'll see how easy it is.

So good news. I went home for lunch and as all of the fish came to greet me (looking for food) the female finally came out! I can definitely tell she turned much more yellow now, maybe there really are eggs? I am going to my lfs later to get the coconut shell, I will definitely see if they have the BS eggs. Will the female find the new cave I get today and move in? or is it too late for this time? Here is a photo from just now, tell me what you think compared to my original ID photo up top!

Attachments

• IMG-3572.PNG
    IMG-3572.PNG
    5.9 MB · Views: 257

yukondog

5 Year Member
She sure looks ready, if she has laid the eggs are where they will probably hatch but once the eggs hatch she may move them, she must feel secure there, if she lays and nothing happens dont worry. I have a pair that it took three tries till they finally got it and a mac. pair that I have to remove the male because he will eat every one of the fry.P1010026.JPG My female Cac. on fry.The tank looks bad but it really is not, just keep the water clean and they will grow. Good luck

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DayanaSic

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….