• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Female or Male Cacatuoides?

RonnieC

Hi Guys.
Newbie here. I recently bought 2 Cacatuoides 1 I know is definitely a male but unsure if the other is female or male. Male just chases it away all the time and theres no black fins on it, is it a juvenile male? Just wondering if any of you have an idea.
Thanks

Attachments

• 20190607_185354.jpg
    20190607_185354.jpg
    1,022.7 KB · Views: 445

RonnieC

What is it then Mike? It was in a tank in the local fish shop with around 8 or 9 others and was labeled up as A. Cacatuoides I bought a male and this one. They still have them in there as A. Cacatuoides as I was in today.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Not really sure from the photo; possibly a female mac-group species?? I need more photos to be sure. Either way a female A. cacatuoides should not show a distinctly separate caudal spot, often just some dark pigment at the top of the lateral band joining the top of a small caudal spot. In addition, the area below the lateral band should show 3 rows of wavy horizontal stripes, like your male's. Look at photos of non-brooding females and compare with yours.

RonnieC

Already showing courtship behaviour a few hours after being introduced following each other into caves and fanning their tales at each other :)

Attachments

• 20190612_195603.jpg
    20190612_195603.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 377

JennyP

It looks very similar to mine cacautoide. but not quite equal, my couple bred 2 times, new batch is around 1 month and the first one, about 3.

The pic of my female is attached for comparison. The original color is equal of your pic. Mine is yellow because is getting ready for her third batch.

Attachments

• femea apisto.jpeg
    femea apisto.jpeg
    167.2 KB · Views: 350

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….