• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Female move eggs from one cave to another?

andrewp

Hi all!

Today is the third day since my female A. Agassizii Double Red laid the eggs (I'm in love with apistos and their behaviours!)

This is my first pair of apistogramma (arrived only two weeks ago!) and their first breeding attempt too :)

(they are pretty young, choosed individually from the tank of my LSF)

IMG_20180914_edit.jpg

My tank is 120 liters (29 gal), two months old: blackwater, frogbit, lemna minor and only a long hydrocotile leucocephala twisted around a big wood. There are a lot of leaves (oak and catappa), two coconut caves and a lot of woods too.

26 hyphessobrycon amandae as dither fishes.

Ph is 6.8, KH 3, GH 4, NO3 between 0 and 1.

Now.

Today, I noted that the female is continuosly moving from the first coconut cave (on the right, the one with eggs) to the second coconut cave on the other site (left).

Is it possible that she's moving the eggs from one cave to another? Is it normal?

Thank you!

andrewp

Right! I've already talked with my LFS owner and I'll buy some brine shrimps eggs to be hatched at home.

I will try also with some micro powder from crumbled dried brine shrimps cubes or similar.

Today, the female added a THIRD cave to her personal territory (!!!), under an oak leaf:

tana3_edit1.jpg

tana3_edit2.jpg

She moved the sand with her mouth all around the leaf.

I'm really happy :)

This is another shot of my tank with the male in the center (I'm trying to learn how to take a good shot but it's not so easy using a smartphone):

acquario.jpg

mrjbacon

5 Year Member
haha that music bro

Good stuff though, my female is coloring up nicely so I'm optimistic I'll be in your shoes sometime in the not-so-distant future

allentwnguy

Once they are free swimming I usually give apisto fry 5-6 days of feeding on what's in the tank before I try them on bbs. I give them a few and see if they can get it past their mouth. Cutest thing is to see the little guys chase one bbs after another until they get one small enough to eat. Once they can you will see their little bellies turn orange. If the father is a "good dad" he will run a protection perimeter around the family, if not he may snack on his fry. I feed the male away from the mother and fry. I've seen my cacatuoides male take fry into his mouth realize what it is and spit the fry out. I've also lost egg clutches and batches of fry to "someone" snacking! Good Luck with the little ones.... pull up chair they are a lot of fun to watch... the whole interaction of the family, surroundings and tank mates is better than TV.

allentwnguy

Couldn't of said it better! It's why Apistos are so bloody addictive!

Ade.

If you think they are addictive......... try Indostomus paradoxus!!! Oh heck most fish are addictive. That's why I have confined myself to one room in the house!

Apistodan77

Right! I've already talked with my LFS owner and I'll buy some brine shrimps eggs to be hatched at home.

I will try also with some micro powder from crumbled dried brine shrimps cubes or similar.

Today, the female added a THIRD cave to her personal territory (!!!), under an oak leaf:

tana3_edit1.jpg

tana3_edit2.jpg

She moved the sand with her mouth all around the leaf.

I'm really happy :)

This is another shot of my tank with the male in the center (I'm trying to learn how to take a good shot but it's not so easy using a smartphone):

acquario.jpg
Mine was doing the same thing and I recently found Fry under one of the logs! Good luck!

andrewp

Once they are free swimming I usually give apisto fry 5-6 days of feeding on what's in the tank before I try them on bbs. I give them a few and see if they can get it past their mouth.

Yesterday I've tried feeding fry with bbs, they was happy to catch them xD but I think the most happy was the female, she ate live food with pleasure!

I'm alternating between two cultures of bbs, I know the little timeframe (first hours) when they are most nutritional.
I saw many fry eating them, but some was hesitant, they are sooooo little (and cute!) :)

BONUS VIDEO:

allentwnguy

Yesterday I've tried feeding fry with bbs, they was happy to catch them xD but I think the most happy was the female, she ate live food with pleasure!

I'm alternating between two cultures of bbs, I know the little timeframe (first hours) when they are most nutritional.
I saw many fry eating them, but some was hesitant, they are sooooo little (and cute!) :)

BONUS VIDEO:

WoW day 2 and able to eat bbs! My Agassizii Double Reds never produced fry. My Cacatuooides are a different matter I would say I'm close to 1K on them. They usually take several days before being able to eat bbs. The same with my sp. tefe and alto tapiche. I guess they just have smaller mouths! I don't culture bbs, I hatch every night. Good Luck with your little ones.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….