• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Female macmasteri ID

raymond82

A year ago I bought a trio of Apistogramma Viejita, which (of course) turned out to be Macmasteri.

The male:
100320121422-1.jpg

Since one of the females died recently I bought a new female macmasteri today, but now I'm comparing her to the one I bought previously and they look quite different to me.

The old female:
100320121416.jpg

And the one I bought today:
100320121420.jpg

100320121424.jpg

The pictures are not the best quality, but two things strike me as different: the older female is yellowish, while the new female is much paler and even looks a bit pink. But most of all the black markings look different, with the old female having a continuous band and the new female has more vertical bands. Why do these females look so different?

Thanks!

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
You're right, the photos of the new fish are not good enough for an ID. From what I see now, the new fish is not a female - and not macmasteri, but I could be wrong on both counts.

raymond82

This A. Masken is a very beautiful fish, if mine was this species in stead of macmasteri I for sure wouldn't mind...

I've been trying to get a better picture but it's very hard, since I have to use my phone cause my normal camera needs repairing. I will keep trying and as soon as I get a better shot post new pictures.

raymond82

Ok, my camera is fixed so here are some better pictures. Hopefully they're good enough for an identification.

SAM_1680.jpg

SAM_1677.jpg

SAM_1669.jpg

I'm curious about your opinions, if more pictures are needed let me know!

Thanks again!

raymond82

Mike, Darrel, thanks a lot for the identification!

With the proviso that I am very poor at this

You were too modest Darrel!

It does mean they put me in a bit of a situation at this shop since I wasn't planning on keeping this species. Besides I'd need a female for this too. I guess I'll just keep him in the community tank for now and I'll have to keep looking for a macmasteri female...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….