• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Female in hiding too long?

CyberCoyote

The first time my female successfully bred she was in a busy tank, so I did see her out and about as she was defending her area. The breeding pair are now in a private tank and she ignored the two caves I made and preferred to hide in an impossible jungle of mixed plants, rocks and churned sand where I can't see her at all. She vanished into the briars 9 days ago and I haven't seen her since. The male seems fine, the 3 juvenile guppies are fine and the mystery snail is healthy.

It just seems she's been in total isolation too long, no sign of her or fry. Not even to race out and grab a bit of food.

At what point should one be concerned for the well being of the female? She is not quite a year old yet.

CyberCoyote

The male patrols around the perimeter but doesn't go in, the guppies (they are very young) stick to the top of the tank. I have seen the mystery (apple) snail further in, assume she'd beat the heck out of him if he got too close.

I will get some BBS in there tonight.

yukondog

5 Year Member
I've had Hongs. stay in the cave 11 days before ever seeing her and the fry, I would give a few more days, like Mike said get your BBS started and let some gently flow into the briars. Good luck

CyberCoyote

Unfortunately I found her body in the overgrowth. Maybe the male got to her, I don't know. she'd been dead for a while, pretty decayed. Poor girl, she was an awesome mom. I'll let him go take over the big tank. there's a few fry still in there that never fell for the traps, guess I gotta figure out how to pull them.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….