• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Female Advice Please

HookedOnFish_MI

Hello! I have a male and female A. cacatuoides in a 15 gallon aquarium (24”x12”). The male was introduced 3/27/2021. The only other tank inhabitants are a few Otocinclus cats. Temp is about 79 and ph about 7.0.

I have not seen the female in quite some time so I took the tank apart during yesterday’s water change and finally found her. She was behind the heater, where she’s still hiding today. She looks to be in great shape and I can tell she’s eating by her plump belly.

The goal of this tank was to have the pair spawn. Due to the female’s behavior, do I remove her? Remove the male for a while? I also have a 2nd female I could add or swap out. Any suggestions are appreciated, as I don’t want her to have to live hiding in a corner.
E7EC98FA-0F5A-4F8A-9876-03A83762FF51.jpeg

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
First, I feel that your tank is too small for a trio of apistos. Second, the two apistos have only been together for about 3 weeks. I think a bit of patience on your part is needed. Also you don't mention how you maintain your apistso: water values, water conditions, tank maintenance, foods fed ...

HookedOnFish_MI

First, I feel that your tank is too small for a trio of apistos. Second, the two apistos have only been together for about 3 weeks. I think a bit of patience on your part is needed. Also you don't mention how you maintain your apistso: water values, water conditions, tank maintenance, foods fed ...
Thanks for the reply Mike. I’ll stick to 2 in that tank. I’m in no hurry for them to spawn, my main concern is just the well being of the female if she’s going to be hiding behind the heater all the time.

Water Parameters:
pH - 7.0
KH - 40
GH - 30
Ammonia - 0
Nitrites - 0
Nitrates - 0 (I know you guys always say this seems really strange for a cycled tank, so I’ve included a pic of the test. This tank has been running successfully since 1/2020.)
5B17C0C6-73F6-4A5B-9F3A-F632DE9A0B34.jpeg
I also tested with an all-in-one strip to get the hardness (below). The pH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate were all measured with individual tests, but backed up by this one.

FF1BB5E9-6B62-4A95-A083-AF01DAD7D753.jpeg

I change about 35% of the water once per week, with 50% distilled going back in to help drop the hardness, and then pH.

I feed twice per day. New Life Spectrum Optimum Flakes in the morning and frozen brine shrimp in the evening. Lights are on for 10 hours per day. There is a small terracotta pot in each back corner of the aquarium, and the driftwood on the left does have some cavities to swim in one spot and out another.
CAD6ED91-E163-49C4-BF56-D2BA58E31F7D.jpeg

Please let me know if you need any additional information, and thanks again!

Last edited:

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I see no problem with maintenance, water, etc. Diet is OK but I use no flakes (occassionally pellets) and more live/frozen foods. My guess is that it may take a bit more time to adjust to the surroundings before they decide to spawn - and my bet is that the pots will not be used; my females do not use large caves.

HookedOnFish_MI

I see no problem with maintenance, water, etc. Diet is OK but I use no flakes (occassionally pellets) and more live/frozen foods. My guess is that it may take a bit more time to adjust to the surroundings before they decide to spawn - and my bet is that the pots will not be used; my females do not use large caves.
Thanks for the time and advice. Those pots are only about 2 3/8” tall. Anything else you would suggest putting in there?

anewbie

To be honest - at least my cockatoo are not fussy finding spots to spawn. I have no pots - just driftwood and a few small stones here and there. They find a spot they like and adjust the landscape as needed to support it (last time she dug under a piece of driftwood and laid her eggs on the underside of the wood). I do hope you have a soft substrate as they do enjoy shifting it for food. One of my hongosli uses an indent in the sponge filter as her favorite spot to lay eggs (which actually works out really well since it is mid way up the side of the tank and easily guarded).
-

HookedOnFish_MI

Apisto female seek narrow crevasses. This simulates their natural breeding sites in the wild, under submerged wood and leaves.
Dang...found the female dead this morning :( No signs of being beaten up either. I have some new magnolia leaves soaking. Once they sink, I’ll try and introduce my other female.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….