• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Female abandoned fry?

Strong Style

Hi everyone! Firstly, I need to thank everyone here. After applying all the advice I have been given, my Macmasteris finally raised a spawn to the swimmer stage. Last night I noticed the female was in her yellow breeding dress, fiercely guarding the fry. However, today she has left the fry and has returned to her normal colors. The father instead is staying with the fry. Has the mother abandoned them? Should I be concerned and can I interfere positively in any way? Thank you!

yukondog

5 Year Member
It sounds like the female is stressed, I have the same situation with a pair of Mac's, the male runs the female off after about a week, raizes them for about a week then eats them. I started removing the male and the let the female tend the fry and have much better survival rate.

Strong Style

I couldn't get another setup in time and the male raised the fry. However, looks like the fry disappeared overnight yesterday (about 3 weeks old). I looked all around the tank and can't find them. When should I remove the male in the future? Would dividing the tank also work?

Tank is 20 L. Feeding BBS but I noticed the fry were very shy to approach the BBS. Using RO/DI for weekly water changes but not vacuuming the gravel as I was worried about sucking up fry.

Should I also consider adding dithers?

Last edited:

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
My experience with males taking over brood care is that it almost always leads to what you experienced. The male gets bored protecting the fry from no one and ignores them. Soon after he considers them food. A target fish (not dither fish) might heighten his territorial/protective instincts. I would remove either the male or fry from the tank once the male tries to take over their management.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….