• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Feeding live brine shrimp every meal?

mikewang

5 Year Member
I want to conditoin and buff up my pair of apistos and hopefully try to breed them. Is it too fatty and unhealthy to feed newly hatch brine shrimp everyday? for let's say 5 days.

i was thinking of feeding 20% frozen blood worms and 80% newly hatched brine shrimp.

also what brand brine shrimp is good?

Deedoo

5 Year Member
Hello Mikewang !

Personnally, I feed all my fishes with about 20% newly hatch brine shrimps every day and 79% of live food + 1% of dry food. I don't think newly hatch brine shrimps are too fatty because they are too small and adults fishes can't eat them too much but they stimulate them. Am I wrong ?

Deedoo

Neil

mikewang,

Newly hatched BBS is safe to feed on a daily basis and, in point of fact, some aquarists only feed BBS to their Dwarf Cichlids, assuming that all dietary needs are met and conditioning for breeding is optimized. However, I think that it is wise to vary their diet, because I think that adults would have to eat so many BBS to fill them up that you risk polluting the tank giving them that much. Feeding 2 times a day, once with BBS and once with a changing (if possible) second food, like frozen daphnia, enriched BS, bloodworms(hikari), prawn eggs, glass worms, etc. If you can get them to accept a flake or pellet, that should also be added to the mix. IMO this is the appropriate way to maintain healthy fish for general husbandry and breeding.

Neil

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….