• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Experience with glass catfish?

CM101

Hi planning a tank currently around a pair of A. Cacatuoides and was wondering if anyone has kept glass catfish with them? Was wondering if they would go after any fry. As I understand glass catfish tend to stick to the top so I imagine it might be alright but would love some opinions. Thanks!

MacZ

I have kept glass catfish separately as I don't mix continents in my tanks. Depends a bit on the species of glass catfish. They are all schooling fish, that tend to stay in a loose group (shoaling), some preferring overhanging cover (floating plants, wood, Vallisneria, Nymphaea), some stayling in the open water. In any case they need a spaceous tank, at least 70 cm tall and 50-60 deep. Length doesn't really matter, although I'd recommend 120-150cm.

Now the problem: If you get the "standard" Kryptopterus (be it K. vitreolus, K. bicirrhis or K. minor) you should be able to give the Apistogramma working structures on the bottom in said tank dimensions, without taking away from the room the catfish require. If you get Ompok pinnatus you are getting into trouble. Many retailers (and wholesalers) are seemingly unable to distinguish juvenile Ompok from Kryptopterus. Which is bad, as Ompok grow to roughly double the size of the usual Kryptopterus.

But my personal opinion: The catfish work best in a deeper stream/river biotope with considerable current, while the Apistos do better in a creek or morichal setting, which have less current, are shallower and have more structures.

Bob Dixon

I have found that the size of a fish's mouth is the best guideline for whether they even are capable of eating fry. I am not sure whether I've ever actually seen a fully grown glass cat of any species, but if you are serious about breeding, then your breeders should be in their own tanks. 10-15 gallons is enough for cacatoides. 15's are hard to find these days, as the manufacturers are limiting varieties for efficiency's sake. A good custom 15 for breeding using 1/4" glass on the walls and 3/8" on the bottom- 12w x 26.5 l x 11h. no center brace would be necessary, but you can use a piece of 3/8" glass 2"wide and the same length as the end pieces secured by silicone sealant, if you are concerned.

In any kind of community, fry are at risk and generally harder to remove. If you don't remove the survivors, your tank population will get out of control.

MacZ

In any kind of community, fry are at risk and generally harder to remove. If you don't remove the survivors, your tank population will get out of control.
It's breeding tank or display tank, right.

I must say, I didn't think of fry predation for a second, my concern here with the combination was simply that neither species (cichlid or catfish) would be offered appropriate conditions if the tank has to be a compromise for both. Most specimens in the trade of both groups come in subpar condition and stressfull tankmates con make things go downhill quickly.

Last edited:

Bob Dixon

I didn't think of fry predation for a second
But the OP asked about fry predation. If the concern is general compatibility, then glass cats and apistoes will frequent different layers of the tank, and water parameters are compatible.

MacZ

But the OP asked about fry predation. If the concern is general compatibility, then glass cats and apistoes will frequent different layers of the tank, and water parameters are compatible.
In a sufficiently dimensioned tank, yes. As I said myself.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….