• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Ember Tetras (Hyphessobrycon amandae) as dithers?

dwarfpike

5 Year Member
I'm looking at these for my dwarf acaras, since they come from a tributary of the river system the acaras are from. So they are kind of biotope-y. My acaras are breeding, but I am less worried about that at the moment since I don't have another tank available to raise fry. But long term, what are peoples' experience with them as fry predators?

Simply Fishy says they aren't much for fry hunting, but would rather hear of any first hand accounts. Yes, I know which pencilfish work but am limited funds wise at the moment. So I was looking at either black neons as Darrel has recommended in other dither threads or embers.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
I'm interested in the outcome of this one as well, because Ember Tetras are commonly available. I seem to remember from the BCA forum that Simon has used them as a dither, so hopefully he can say whether it was successful or not.

cheers Darrel

Tom C

5 Year Member
I've kept them as dithers a lot, 5 - 6 years ago. I did see them hunt fry, but they always only managed to take a few, (not like a school of Neons, who could consume all 60 freeswimming fry in a few hours), so I didn't care.
In very acid, peatfiltered, blackwater they are true beauties!

dwarfpike

5 Year Member
Thanks Tom. A few I wouldn't mind either, I lost count at 160 eggs and that was only their first spawn with a fairly small female. Plus, there's not many places here abouts to distribute the fry. Sounds like they are worth a try.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
dwarfpike, I see you're from the Seattle area. I'll be giving programs to the Seattle club next week; 1 on Sat. 10/5 (for club members only) and 1 on Tuesday 10/8.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DayanaSic

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….