• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Easiest / hardiest dwarf cichlid to raise

Sorry I been blowing up the forum with questions lol. My tank is just about ready ( I was able to get some filter media from my LFS to speed up the cycle . Now just about ready to pick out my dwarf cichlids . What would your recommendations be on the hardiest / easiest to keep? Being im a beginner still . Thank you so much in advance

MacZ

Sorry, can't be answered. Too many things factoring in:

- genetics: domestic strain (bad) vs. tankbred/wild (average) type vs. wild caught (stable)
- source: reputable breeder/importer (good) vs. LFS (average) vs. big box store (bad)
- habitat: whitewater (easy) vs. clearwater (average) vs. blackwater (hard)
- social behaviour: pairing vs. harem vs. casual polygamy
- tank: well structured/tailored to the species vs. display vs. community

It takes one factor to tip the scale from easy to hard or even impossible in an instant.

Ben Rhau

Apisto Club
If I recall, you have one 10-gallon tank and were looking to get a single male apisto, correct? Male borellii look great and check a lot of boxes. If you don't include females, most males generally won't be aggressive toward non-apisto fish, so you could try most of the commonly available species (macmasteri, cacatouides, hongsloi, trifasciata) and be fine with just that one male. I wouldn't recommend agassizii, which tends to like softer water.

I personally think the wild type fish look best for all these species. And as noted above, likely have better genetics.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
Another vote got Apistogramma borellii. In a larger tank A. macmasteri?
My tank is just about ready ( I was able to get some filter media from my LFS to speed up the cycle .
Have a look at the "Aquarium Co-Op" video on "Seasoned Tank Time", it makes a lot more sense than "not cycled / cycled".

I've written a lot about <"letting tanks grow in">, but I've never given it an official title.

cheers Darrel

MacZ

I'mby no means a fan of aquarium co-op, (I loathe their "quarantine trio" and will not cease warning about it), but when this video came out I was for once of the same opinion as Corey. Another one would be the one he made about Otocinclus last year.

anewbie

I'mby no means a fan of aquarium co-op, (I loathe their "quarantine trio" and will not cease warning about it), but when this video came out I was for once of the same opinion as Corey. Another one would be the one he made about Otocinclus last year.
More details; what do you dislike about their quarantine routine ?

MacZ

More details; what do you dislike about their quarantine routine ?
a. preemptive medication with a combination of heavy meds containing among other things formaldehyde and antibiotics. Stuff you might dose one after the other with a recovery period inbetween but never all at once.
b. the fact they recommend this for home use to beginners that often wouldn't know how to deal with contraindications.
c. I have seen enough reports of that combination killing fish due to sideeffects and overdosing.

If I wouldn't do this myself, I for sure wouldn't want to be in a beginner's shoes when this goes haywire. Seen people losing their nerves while treating with that combination.

Note:
I just saw they finally added some saftey advice, which wasn't there last time I looked.

anewbie

a. preemptive medication with a combination of heavy meds containing among other things formaldehyde and antibiotics. Stuff you might dose one after the other with a recovery period inbetween but never all at once.
b. the fact they recommend this for home use to beginners that often wouldn't know how to deal with contraindications.
c. I have seen enough reports of that combination killing fish due to sideeffects and overdosing.

If I wouldn't do this myself, I for sure wouldn't want to be in a beginner's shoes when this goes haywire. Seen people losing their nerves while treating with that combination.

Note:
I just saw they finally added some saftey advice, which wasn't there last time I looked.
Someone just quote an article that said all fishes require a ph above 6.

anewbie

There is an article the suggest your tank should be ph between 6.5 and 7.5 and never below 6. So someone said their tank was 5.5 and they said calcium (in the form of crush coral) had to be added immediately to stablize the ph and bring it up above 6 or their pleco would die.

MacZ

There is an article the suggest your tank should be ph between 6.5 and 7.5 and never below 6. So someone said their tank was 5.5 and they said calcium (in the form of crush coral) had to be added immediately to stablize the ph and bring it up above 6 or their pleco would die.
Ah, the classic mix of outdated 1960/70s aquarium chemistry (when most people didn't know how to buffer pH besides via KH and only changed water once a year) and bacteria product advertisement being regurgitated.

Where was that article published? Can you send me the link via PM?

anewbie

The article itself doesn't say that ph should be above 6 but the reader interpreted it that way as it has a recommended range of 6.5 to 7.5; the article isn't awful but it is easy to see how it might confuse a casual reader; also i don't like the idea that you should add a buffer to prevent ph swing.

MacZ

The article itself doesn't say that ph should be above 6 but the reader interpreted it that way as it has a recommended range of 6.5 to 7.5; the article isn't awful but it is easy to see how it might confuse a casual reader; also i don't like the idea that you should add a buffer to prevent ph swing.
I see. This confusion is very common. Many people get to this looking at the recommandations from test kits (red/yellow/green zones)
The recommendation with the buffer is very obviously targeted at people that remove humic substances because they hate the tint but have soft water. The article is generally likely written for the casual hobbyist, that doesn't care enough to do waterchanges and test water for GH and KH. Combined with (unbeknown) soft water from the tap and the likely absence of life plants in such cases the chances are high for those to experience a true pH-crash due to NO3 build-up (which is dissolved as nitric acid). Basically what brings many beginners to general aquarium forums.

also i don't like the idea that you should add a buffer to prevent ph swing.
It's KH or Humic acids, without either pH is indeed prone to fluctuation and (if the owner doesn't change water regularly) pH-crashes.

anewbie

I see. This confusion is very common. Many people get to this looking at the recommandations from test kits (red/yellow/green zones)
The recommendation with the buffer is very obviously targeted at people that remove humic substances because they hate the tint but have soft water. The article is generally likely written for the casual hobbyist, that doesn't care enough to do waterchanges and test water for GH and KH. Combined with (unbeknown) soft water from the tap and the likely absence of life plants in such cases the chances are high for those to experience a true pH-crash due to NO3 build-up (which is dissolved as nitric acid). Basically what brings many beginners to general aquarium forums.

It's KH or Humic acids, without either pH is indeed prone to fluctuation and (if the owner doesn't change water regularly) pH-crashes.
But do many casual hobbist actually have tap water with kh near 0 ?

MacZ

But do many casual hobbist actually have tap water with kh near 0 ?
I know Corey always reminds people of his water and seemingly most of the Northwest of North America, being basically RO from the tap. I know people on at least 3 continents and in a dozen countries that have the same conditions. But all of those make the most of it, keeping softwater species.
Also don't forget, even if you maybe start out with KH of 4 and have a heavily planted and lightly stocked or not planted but heavily stocked tank, consuming away on GH and KH, you might get to this point after some months to a year without waterchanges and only topping off.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
The amount of "good" advice you will receive about pH (and buffering) from most fish shops (or forums) in the UK could be written on the back of a postage stamp. I'd like to think that things would be better in Germany, Sweden, Netherlands etc.

cheers Darrel

MacZ

Hi all,

The amount of "good" advice you will receive about pH (and buffering) from most fish shops (or forums) in the UK could be written on the back of a postage stamp. I'd like to think that things would be better in Germany, Sweden, Netherlands etc.

cheers Darrel
Very depending on the store. And even then very depending on the person one is dealing with. I know stores where the owner/manager has no idea of fishkeeping but the employees are top knotch, there is of course also the opposite and all/none-options.
Besides pH I must say, store advice has - at least in my area - become better in recent years. They have tightened regulations and now it's more economic for the owners of bigger petstores to send all their employees to the classes for animal handlers instead of only one or two per department. Pretty sure they are anticipating the regulations demanding exactly that. In smaller specialty stores all personell being examined and licenced is a given nowerdays.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csteele

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….