• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Dropsy or bloat

rasmusW

5 Year Member
Hi all!

today i spotted one of my copellas with dropsy or bloat like symptoms. It is now moved to a hospital tank.
so now i am reading up how to treat it, as i have had a few other cases of this or something similare within the last couple of months.
I have one question though. Could this be caused by a parasite/bad water quality build up in my outdoor water barrel, where i get all my tank water? -i’m asking because it occured in two of my tanks.

-r

MacZ

That's quite little info. On other forums I would ask you to fill out something like a disease / emergency template.
Too many variables from what you are saying.

rasmusW

5 Year Member
thanks MacZ! -ye, i know it's not much. I haven't tested my water values, so i can't give much info there.
I feed frozen food (daphnie, cyclops, artemia, black/white mosquito larvaes) once a day. They also get live daphnies every once in a while, from my water barrel.
The dominant A. atahualpa have had a matte eye a couple of times, which i read could also be sign of one of the bloat diseases. This however fades away after some days. -maybe it's just been unlucky with a few scratches on the eye?

I have spotted a lot of dead snails on the more stagnate part of the water surface, which i first saw a sign of too low ph, for them to build up their houses and there died or so...
yesterday i read that protozean cultures strives in more stagnate waters, so it could also be that happening. i guess these parasites, if it is that attack all creatures in the tank and not only fish.
i have now increased the water flow and rinsed the filter sponge.
i am thinking of getting some RO water for my next few water changes, instead of using from the barrel.

these are all just ideas, hunches of what i see in the tank.

-r

MacZ

Usually I would ask for water (quality and parameters), maintenance schedule, stocking, feeding, recent (3 months) changes and a picture of the whole tank and the affected fish.

The dominant A. atahualpa have had a matte eye a couple of times, which i read could also be sign of one of the bloat diseases. This however fades away after some days. -maybe it's just been unlucky with a few scratches on the eye?
Have something similar with my A. hongsloi. The grey shadow can be either an injury, glaucoma, chronic gill flukes or a bacterial infection. So a lot of possible causes.

I have spotted a lot of dead snails on the more stagnate part of the water surface, which i first saw a sign of too low ph, for them to build up their houses and there died or so...
Besides pH this could also be starvation. I have found snails that can withstand low pH often just strave due to lack of aufwuchs.

yesterday i read that protozean cultures strives in more stagnate waters, so it could also be that happening. i guess these parasites, if it is that attack all creatures in the tank and not only fish.
I would be wary of that without a microscopy. If you have extremely soft, low pH water the protozoan count is usually almost as low as the bacteria count.

i have now increased the water flow and rinsed the filter sponge.
Good call with the flow, but I wouldn't have actually rinsed the sponge. Or do you mean you just gave it a little squeeze? Instead a waterchange is always my first action, when something is wrong.

i am thinking of getting some RO water for my next few water changes, instead of using from the barrel.
Good idea just to see whether it's the barrel.

rasmusW

5 Year Member
Thanks again Mac!

-I haven't thought of the snails issue as "just" starvation, but ye! that could be the issue, though there is plenty of leafs etc. to build up aufwuchs.

-The filter i just squeezed in cold tap water to get the majority of dirt out. i thought there where no point in using the tank water, IF that is what causes the issue.

I'll let you know, how things turns out.

-r

MacZ

though there is plenty of leafs etc. to build up aufwuchs.
I noticed some species of snails thrived in that, some didn't. I had some bladder snails going nuts for a short time, then dying off, though there was leaf litter all about. The two Neritina I had for a while instead munched on that stuff, but seemed lethargic, until I moved them to a completely different tank.

-The filter i just squeezed in cold tap water to get the majority of dirt out. i thought there where no point in using the tank water, IF that is what causes the issue.
You thought I referred to chlorinated tap? Not at all, I'm aware the water in both our countries is not chlorinated. But the "dirt" was likely mostly bacteria. You still send a lot of them down the drain. Cleaning filter media (however you do it) is not a good idea usually and may cause instabilities.

rasmusW

5 Year Member
I noticed some species of snails thrived in that, some didn't. I had some bladder snails going nuts for a short time, then dying off, though there was leaf litter all about. The two Neritina I had for a while instead munched on that stuff, but seemed lethargic, until I moved them to a completely different tank.

You thought I referred to chlorinated tap? Not at all, I'm aware the water in both our countries is not chlorinated. But the "dirt" was likely mostly bacteria. You still send a lot of them down the drain. Cleaning filter media (however you do it) is not a good idea usually and may cause instabilities.
sorry for the confusion. I just tried to say this time i used tapwater instead of rainwater. Based on my assumption that it might be the water.

Normally i only clean the filter sponge when it starts to clog the filter. And then i squeeze it in tank water from the water change.

-r

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….