• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

dorsiger question

gigafish

5 Year Member
hi all! i have 4 dorsigers in a 20g long. 2 of them formed a pair. they seem like they want to breed, but never did. my ph is 6.8-7, gh 7. i do not have a R/O kit. what else can i do to stimulate them into breeding. i'm very new at this. any info would be very helpful. thanks!!! :D :D :D

gigafish

5 Year Member
i bought them at least 8 monthes ago. could they have bred and i missed it and the bristlenose ate it??? should i move them to a larger tank?

Neil

gigafish,

WELCOME TO THE FORUM

Sometimes you have to be patient with Laetacara species. Randall is probably asking the question because I think they are not sexually mature until they are well over 1 year. They do form strong pair bonds and, if yours have bonded, they probably will spawn. You can help by varying they diet and feeding several times a day. Other than that, they are relatively undemanding as far as water goes.

how do i summit a photo to this site?

If you have a way of uploading your pics to the web , or if they are already there, you can simply use the URL button at the top after highlighting the url of your pic in your post.

Neil

laetacara1

5 Year Member
If you purchased them 8 mos. or so, they should be ready to go, given that they were probably half a year old (or more) when you bought them. We have repeatedly spawned this species (our favorite fish), and we even had one amazingly precocious 4-mo-old pair successfully raise a brood (they were juveniles who spawned in our fry grow-out tank). Does your tank have lots of cover and vegetation? Dorsigers like lots of cover, like most dwarf cichlids. They also like flat surfaces to spawn on, although they will put eggs on anubias leaves (seen photos in books), or driftwood (ours have done this). We put some flat rocks in our tanks (if you do this make sure the rocks are not carbonate-bearing or they will raise your hardness and pH). The dorsigers prefer a surface that is sheltered for an egg laying site, so these surfaces should be placed beneath dense vegetation or other cover. Once they spawn, your bristlenose will probably not be the biggest threat to your eggs or fry--the other two dorsigers will be the main source of attrition. We see this all the time in our tanks. If you have full-grown fish, you may also find that 20 long becomes a bit cramped for four adults. Our more dominant individuals will claim an entire 20 long or 26 gal tank as territory. On the other hand, our dorsigers are somewhat more aggressive (and outgoing) than what we generally see reported for this species.

Good luck with your dorsigers. If you get a successful spawn, be prepared for real treat. These little fish are superb parents--both male and female share in all phases of broodcare. You'll actually get to see them "taking shifts" and exchanging roles frequently. Enjoy.

gigafish

5 Year Member
WOW!!! thanks for the great info neil and laetacaral!!!!! i guess i'll give it some time. I feed them bloodworms frozen and dried, small pellets, spurilina tablets, frozen water flea, and fresh earthworm whenever possible. oh and flakes too. i alternate the food of course, but bloodworm more often. So should I take the other 2 dorsigers out then? I have guppies or juvenile keyhole cichlids to replace them.

I have several semi flat rocks, 1 sinkable driftwood and 2 standing driftwood, and 2 clay pots in there. For plants I have 1 anubia, scattered java moss and java ferns and 1 bunch of micro sword in there( all live plants). I have reg. small pebbles in there as well. the tank is running by a penguin 330 only and I do a 30% water change everyweek. Never missed a week yet. My tap water is 7.4 ph, 12 dh. Philadelphia water.

thanks again

laetacara1

5 Year Member
gigafish said:
WOW!!! thanks for the great info neil and laetacaral!!!!! i guess i'll give it some time. I feed them bloodworms frozen and dried, small pellets, spurilina tablets, frozen water flea, and fresh earthworm whenever possible. oh and flakes too. i alternate the food of course, but bloodworm more often. So should I take the other 2 dorsigers out then? I have guppies or juvenile keyhole cichlids to replace them.

I have several semi flat rocks, 1 sinkable driftwood and 2 standing driftwood, and 2 clay pots in there. For plants I have 1 anubia, scattered java moss and java ferns and 1 bunch of micro sword in there( all live plants). I have reg. small pebbles in there as well. the tank is running by a penguin 330 only and I do a 30% water change everyweek. Never missed a week yet. My tap water is 7.4 ph, 12 dh. Philadelphia water.

thanks again
I think in the long run, it would be best if you remove the other dorsigers. In similar situations we have had significant aggression problems with this species (in addition to fry predation/etc). This is why we give our pairs a bit more room now. I would NOT replace them juvi Keyholes. The keyholes will get roughed up really badly (or worse) by your pair, and, if they survive, they'll still be clever enough to eat up a lot of fry. We have some keyholes sharing a 55gal with some dorsigers and they are certainly well below the dorsigers on the pecking order in that tank, but they still managed to vacuum up the fry of two dorsiger spawns. Your guppies might work OK as companions for your pair. Dorsigers, like most or all dwarf cichlids, feel most at ease if there are some small non-aggressive schooling fish ("dither fish") in the tank with them. This may also make them feel more comfortable about spawning. I've read of people who have used guppies as dither. The preferred dither fish of most dwarf cichlid enthusiasts seems to be pencilfish. We use cardinal tetras, although some have reported that cardinals and neons may eat eggs or fry. Remember if you deprive your keyholes of their dither (the guppies), you'll want to get some dither fish for your keyholes to keep them happy.

As for you decorations, make sure your flat rocks are in a sheltered place. If you move a flat rock into each of your clay pots, those will make two very good potential egg laying sites.

gigafish

5 Year Member
thanks!! How about using giant danios or the reg. zebra danios? I got a bunch of 2 monthes old pink convicts too. But I think that will worsing the situation. I will do that with the clay pots. Should I put the java frens in front of the pot or should I use a rock to make the entrance smaller??

laetacara1

5 Year Member
gigafish said:
thanks!! How about using giant danios or the reg. zebra danios? I got a bunch of 2 monthes old pink convicts too. But I think that will worsing the situation. I will do that with the clay pots. Should I put the java frens in front of the pot or should I use a rock to make the entrance smaller??
Giant danios are a bit too hyper active (and large) to make dorsigers feel comfortable. Zebra danios will probably work--I've read of folks using them successfully as dither. Certainly keep those convicts out of the Laetacara tank by all means. Convicts will tear Laetacaras to shreds.I don't think you have to make the entrance to the cave (that has the flat rock on the floor) smaller, as long as it is not too much in the open. A Java Fern near the entrance probably wouldn't hurt. You probably don't want to block the entrance (and your view) too much because it is really fun to watch the egg laying process (just watched a dorsiger pair do this three weeks ago).

gigafish

5 Year Member
I just got some more plants from my fish club and 2 cherry barbs and some other goodies :D :D :D . I put the cherry barbs in my 30g angel and keyhole community tank.
How many zebra danios can I put in the 20g? I was thinking 8.
Oh, My male went nuts yesterday. He chased everyone, including his mate. Don't know why?

Right now I'm feeding hikari dried bloodworm and pellets. Is that ok?

laetacara1

5 Year Member
gigafish said:
I just got some more plants from my fish club and 2 cherry barbs and some other goodies :D :D :D . I put the cherry barbs in my 30g angel and keyhole community tank.
How many zebra danios can I put in the 20g? I was thinking 8.
Oh, My male went nuts yesterday. He chased everyone, including his mate. Don't know why?

Right now I'm feeding hikari dried bloodworm and pellets. Is that ok?
You may also wish to feed live brine shrimp if they are available in your area. We've spawned ours on a diet that is mostly flake food (primarily Aquarian, OSI Vivid Color and OSI Cichlid) with a live brine shrimp "treat" meal every third day. Most folks, however, will feed a diet much richer in frozen and live foods. As for the number of zebra danios, I'd go with a half dozen. Bear in mind that zebra danios may not be the best at getting out of harm's way when spawning occurs. I recall reading a story on the Krib where some spawning curviceps wiped out their zebra danio dither and ate them. With regard to your male's rampage...cichlids sometimes go through periods where they are pretty nasty (even individuals of supposedly "gentle" species). Our best L. dorsiger male (father of all but one of the dorsigers we now keep) was particularly ornery when he wasn't in spawning mode. He mercilessly pounded his mate, another female, and the dither, in a well planted 26 gal. tank. He actually got a bit mellower during spawning and broodcare. Curiously the most aggressive of all of his offspring (he died a few months ago) is a female--she is as aggressive as he was and she simply dominates her mate.

gigafish

5 Year Member
I have frozen bloodworm, beefheart, daphnias and fine chopped veal. For dried food I have dried krill, brineshrimp, planktons, bloodworms, flakes, OSI tropicals, color enchancing pellets, algae tablets, goldfish pond pellets, khikari minute pellets and some more I can't remember. heheh They said variety is one of a key to sucess right :lol: :lol: !!!!
i think i've been at your website.. very good indeed. i read it over and over again from time to time.
oh excuse my typing. i am holding my 7 month old daughter and typing at the same time. i feed the beef very sparingly and little bit each time. the frozen daphnia is made by using the sweetwater daphnia in the jar.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….