• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Does attaining sexual dimorphism = sexual maturity?

Kenny Poh

5 Year Member
Hi all,

The reason why I'm asking this question, is that I've just acquired a new pair of Ap. borelli.

The male is about 3.5 cm, and looked physically developed: coloured up, long pointed dorsal and ventrals.

The female is only abt half the male's size, but is already apparent that it is a female: slight yellow body, black markings and ventrals, etc.

My question is: at this size/age, assuming that their growth rate wsn't compromised, are they able to spawn and poduce viable eggs?

What are the youngest/smallest pair of apistos you guys had spawned, and the species?

Pardon me if the questions sound newbie-ish!

Cheers,

Kenny

cootwarm

5 Year Member
I currently have 2 female borellii both slightly larger than 1.5 cm and both are caring for brood. The male is about 2.5 cm. The parents of these fish were also tiny when they first spawned.

I think they would have spawned sooner if I gave them their own tank. Until recently they shared their 30 gallon with 7 full grown borellii. They began spawning within days of me removing the adults.

Michael

Kenny Poh

5 Year Member
Hi Mike,

Well, the young borelli paired just answered my query in the best possible way that they can, by giving me a spawn! :D

They spawned late last night, and the female is jealously guarding the clutch of eggs, chasing the male away. Hopefully, she doesn't do him in, as did my female viejita to her mate.

I do understand that sometimes a young pair would take a few spawns before getting it right, so there's still some days to go before any free swimming frys can be seen, if any. Well, at least I'm one spawn closer to getting some frys, I guess. :D

Thanks for sharing Mike!

Cheers,

Kenny

Neil

Kenny Poh,

Congratulations! There is very few apisto females that can be smaller than borellii when they are able to spawn successfully. I have had dinky females with babies. The smaller species also breed at a smaller than average size (ie, diplotaenia, trifasciata, etc.).
Sexual dimorphism and sexual maturity, however, are 2 different elements. It relates to age and species more than just the size. Each species are different. Some are hard to tell their gender after they have been spawning. And there are a few (ie, Balzfleck) that have reverse dimorphism.

Neil

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….