• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Do I have too many apistos and rams in my tank?

jhj0112

Just like everyone here, I fall in love with apistogrammas.. In My 90G tank, I ended up the below number of dwarf cichlids. 3 macmasteris, 2 sp steel blues, 2 female aggies, 2 panduros, 3 gold rams, 5 bolivian rams, 2 GBRs.

is this too many dwarf cichlids in my tank? they are all juvies except bolivian rams. I just can't let them go :) they are all my babies :).

tank size is 48"x16"x 28"..

I also have a pair of aggie double red and 3 nannacara teania in 20G long tank.. 30x12x12..

I think I'm pushing the limit but so far no aggression yet..

thanks

bamuse

wow all apistos are your babies haha Congrats!
Although there are lots of apistos in 70G tank, I think your tank is really big enough.

I would put some woods, half flowerpots and plants to hide just in case:)

I wouldn't have 5 cichlids in 20G without a diviver:)
but just my opinion!I've never done that ways.
hope all babies will get along with each other

ChuckinMA

Is it heavily planted? How long have the Panduros been in the tank? My experience has been they are more likely to initiate chasing and territorial control, but nothing severe. Of course all bets are off if two of your fish pair off and spawn.

jhj0112

It is planted and have few pots and couple of driftwood. I also put 2 PVC pipes. Panduros have been in tank for little over a month. (1.5-2")

All of my apistos are around this size.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
If it works for you and no one is getting beat up, then it's OK. Just realize that your tank is barely larger than a standard 55 in bottom surface area. These are cichlids and will have the same territorial instincts as their bigger brethren when they become sexually mature. Anything 8"/20cm above the substrate is unused space for dwarfs.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DayanaSic

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….