• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Dither fish for breeding

Are dither fish necessary?

• Total voters

steveapex

Hello, Steve here.

I´m thinking on give it a try to breed my pair of apistos.

Already set up my 12gal tank with 2 caves, plants, sand, rocks etc and I let the happy couple alone. They´re still young fish but I´ve been watching some courtship.

The question is: It's is necessary to add some dither fish in the tank?

I´ve heard that reduces levels of agression between the pair.

I have considered adding a few nannostomus marilynae, is it recommended? How many could I add?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Is it necessary? No. Is it helpful? It depends on the dither fish. Your N. marilynae should work fine. Since pencilfish are not true schooling fish 1 - 3 fish should be fine.

I think you (like many others) do not fully understand the difference between a 'dither fish' and a 'target fish'.

Dither fish are added to make apistos more secure in their surroundings and thus take more interest in breeding. Apistos are primarily prey for larger fish and birds in the wild. Small fish swimming above them will be the first targets for predators and give apistos a chance to hide.

Target fish are added to provide something else on which to expend their aggression, other than their partner - especially once there are fry. It also helps keep the male from harassing a brooding female out of boredom (not needing to defend a territory from other fish).

steveapex

Is it necessary? No. Is it helpful? It depends on the dither fish. Your N. marilynae should work fine. Since pencilfish are not true schooling fish 1 - 3 fish should be fine.

I think you (like many others) do not fully understand the difference between a 'dither fish' and a 'target fish'.

Dither fish are added to make apistos more secure in their surroundings and thus take more interest in breeding. Apistos are primarily prey for larger fish and birds in the wild. Small fish swimming above them will be the first targets for predators and give apistos a chance to hide.

Target fish are added to provide something else on which to expend their aggression, other than their partner - especially once there are fry. It also helps keep the male from harassing a brooding female out of boredom (not needing to defend a territory from other fish).
Thanks Mike, your answer help me a lot. So N. marilynae will work fine as dither and target fish or should I consider another species for the target function?

My interest is in avoiding that the apistos hurt each other and at the same keep the fry safe of been eat..

Thanks again.

Flyfan

Hello Steve. As a habit, I add other fish to my breeding pairs. Mike's post was informative and helped reflect on what I was actually using them for. I think that in my limited experience , the other fishes function as both dithers and targets. Shy pairs seem to be at ease almost immediately after adding them and then they give the female in particular a target for her motherly aggression. I use 3 or 4 Hyphessobrycon Rubrostriatus (Tetras) as dither/target fish. I use this particular fish because I breed them, so I have a number at hand. I have never had any injured, nor do I think they have eaten any fry. I'm sure many other fish would be as good. As a newbie here, but not to the hobby, I really like this forum. Loads of good knowledge without all of the negativity. So thank you Mike Wise.

steveapex

Hello Steve. As a habit, I add other fish to my breeding pairs. Mike's post was informative and helped reflect on what I was actually using them for. I think that in my limited experience , the other fishes function as both dithers and targets. Shy pairs seem to be at ease almost immediately after adding them and then they give the female in particular a target for her motherly aggression. I use 3 or 4 Hyphessobrycon Rubrostriatus (Tetras) as dither/target fish. I use this particular fish because I breed them, so I have a number at hand. I have never had any injured, nor do I think they have eaten any fry. I'm sure many other fish would be as good. As a newbie here, but not to the hobby, I really like this forum. Loads of good knowledge without all of the negativity. So thank you Mike Wise.
Hi Flyfan, thanks for your answer.

Yes this forum is great. A place wheree to comunicate with other apisto lovers.

I´ve been doing research, the reason I am considering nannostomus marilynae is due the size of theirmouths, they will not eat fry even if they want :D

Best regards.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….