• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Dicrossus maculatus bloating issue

Cookie_apisto

Hallo I have two Dicrossus maculatus in a 30g tank but of them already died from bloating and the other one is still fighting with it. I been feeding them high protein pellets and the ph is 7.7. I am wondering what is causing the problem???

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
Hallo I have two Dicrossus maculatus in a 30g tank but of them already died from bloating and the other one is still fighting with it. I been feeding them high protein pellets and the ph is 7.7. I am wondering what is causing the problem???
I think it is the <"high protein pellets">, they appear to be very prone to bloating when they are adult.

We have a few threads with <"similar experiences">. If I ever keep them again (I would like to they were gorgeous) I'm going to feed them a crustacean based diet. The images are gone from the the thread on this forum, but the images of my last pair are still on the UKAPS thread.

dicrossus_clup_aug2012_flash_web-jpg.41356

cheers Darrel

Cookie_apisto

Hi all,I think it is the <"high protein pellets">, they appear to be very prone to bloating when they are adult.

We have a few threads with <"similar experiences">. If I ever keep them again (I would like to they were gorgeous) I'm going to feed them a crustacean based diet. The images are gone from the the thread on this forum, but the images of my last pair are still on the UKAPS thread.

dicrossus_clup_aug2012_flash_web-jpg.41356

cheers Darrel

I been feeding them krill chips which is 50% protein. The first ingredients is krill which is 40% then it is the fish and fish derivatives ingredient.

Ade205

I had great success feeding Vitalis Rift lake Green flake and pellets. No longer have the fish, but never suffered bloat. I keep a large variety of mbuna currently, feed this food exclusively, and never suffer bloat which some species are renowned for, like one of my favs, Demasoni.

Re Dicrossus, didn't feed full size pellets, I use a blender to reduce pellet size for
smaller fish. To feed I take a few pinches between my finger and thumb, submerge this into a small cup of tank water, then use a pipette to spot feed to usual daily feeding location! The fish soon associate the pipette with feeding time! Would of fed flake exclusively but I run out a lot and I'm very disorganised!! This may be overkill though as tiny fry in all my African tanks dart out, grab a whole pellet, and zip off back to their little rock crevice......

Ade.

gerald

5 Year Member
Cookie -- What is your GH water hardness? There's a possibility high Ca hardness might cause kidney problems that lead to bloating?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….