• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Dicrossus 420 L

Mazan

I'll be honest the only obvious cyanobacteria I ever see a little smear on the backs of the <"older leaves of Pistia stratiotes">. I
Both times I have had cyanobacteria that is exactly how and where it started. The first time I just kept removing it manually, throwing away the affected Pistia, and eventually, after I added some large almond leaves it never came back. I think they do have some kind of antibacterial properties.

The second time however was in a tank where I was regularly using almond leaves and other leaves, and letting these build up, so I probably did have a lot of decaying matter in the tank. It wasn't very much Cyanobacteria, a lot less than the OP has, but it was annoying especially on the Cabomba and Pistia . Every week I would remove it but it would be back after a few days. I read that low nitrates, or a high phosphate/nitrate ratio can be involved. This tank always had 0 nitrates unless I added any, phosphates were low, about the same as in the tap water. I started adding some nitrates which seemed to help a bit, I also tried to increase the water movement as it was rather still on the surface. But a little still kept coming, and I have to admit that although I am usually averse to using any kind of chemicals, I did resort to using Ultralife blue green stain remover. This worked quickly, with just one dose, and since then (about a year ago) the Cyanobacteria has never come back. I occasionally add nitrates for the plants.

Gaisller

Hello!

I 'm still fighting against the cyanobacterias. I remove it by hand in every WC. The tank looks fine for one or two days, then the cyanos grows up again.

Yesterday I noticed some "weird" behavior between two dicrossus... Could it be breeding behaviour? Some pictures below:
IMG_4618.JPG

IMG_4620.JPG

IMG_4622.JPG

MacZ

I 'm still fighting against the cyanobacterias. I remove it by hand in every WC. The tank looks fine for one or two days, then the cyanos grows up again.
Oh dear... probably better replace the affected decorations.

Yesterday I noticed some "weird" behavior between two dicrossus... Could it be breeding behaviour? Some pictures below:
First: Really beautiful specimens. Second: It does look like they are preparing a spawning spot.

MacZ

Very pretty critter. Guess that is why they are popular.
In comparison they are not very popular, last but not least because they have a reputation of being finicky in terms of water parameters. And that must be somewhat true as they are still not subject to widespread breeding on a grand scale. Sadly that has lead to Colombia putting the catch and export of wild caught specimens on hold for two years.

Gaisller

Oh dear... probably better replace the affected decorations.
It looks like it. This weekend I'll remove the affected driftwood. I hope it helps and reduce the cyanos at the substrate as well.

First: Really beautiful specimens. Second: It does look like they are preparing a spawning spot.
Thank you Mac!

Well, I doubt that it will work at this pH range... Even if it works, the tetras will prey the fry. But at least it's a nice thing to see in my tank.

Gaisller

In comparison they are not very popular, last but not least because they have a reputation of being finicky in terms of water parameters. And that must be somewhat true as they are still not subject to widespread breeding on a grand scale. Sadly that has lead to Colombia putting the catch and export of wild caught specimens on hold for two years.
Nice that you mentioned it. By the way, can you tell me if my fish came from Orinoco Basin or Rio Negro Basin?

MacZ

Nice that you mentioned it. By the way, can you tell me if my fish came from Orinoco Basin or Rio Negro Basin?
The caudal pattern is the same as in my fish, which is from the Orinoco-Population. Interesting to see a Colombian or Venezuelan Fish in a Brasilian Tank. One would expect you have access to the Rio Negro Population.

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
5 Year Member
I had so many battles with cyanobacteria infections when I had my pet shop. In addition to vacuuming and hand-removal, I found it helped to cut the lights completely for a couple days.

anewbie

I had so many battles with cyanobacteria infections when I had my pet shop. In addition to vacuuming and hand-removal, I found it helped to cut the lights completely for a couple days.
I wasn't going to say anything - but i think i will this one time - i had one massive battle with cyanobacteria. Everything was coated in it from substrate up; it was so thick you could peel it off. I did a million searches on cause (we think it was nitrogen release from the substrate - vaguely I think i even found there were different types with different causes); i then - despite being warned not too - used an off the shelf product called chemiclean
--
--
It was massively expensive at $9 (now it is $12 so you have to pay even more). I followed the instructions to a T (including air stone) and in under a week it was all gone and never came back. I think 4 months later - or maybe 3 - i discovered sulfur pockets in the substrate (too fine and too deep); and i broke down and replace the substrate with something a little coarser.
-
Anyway that was my experience with cyano and my fix. The one thing that concerns me in my search on the topic is that there are different types and they might react differently. Also while I did not notice any immediate impact on fishes (my female nijjensi is still alive 2 years past treatment (i used it around Feb 14 2020) - drat i was wrong it cost 14.48 back then so it actually gone down in price - that is weird - anyway more info then you wanted. If you use it i can almost guarantee it will kill all your fishes since murphy was warned me over and over never recommend these sort of things to others.

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
5 Year Member
Yeah that's exactly why I hesitated to mention the countless antibiotic products I used over the years to try to treat our tanks. Depriving the pesky stuff of all light works OK if you combine that with other methods.

MacZ

I wasn't going to say anything - but i think i will this one time - i had one massive battle with cyanobacteria. Everything was coated in it from substrate up; it was so thick you could peel it off. I did a million searches on cause (we think it was nitrogen release from the substrate - vaguely I think i even found there were different types with different causes); i then - despite being warned not too - used an off the shelf product called chemiclean
--
--
It was massively expensive at $9 (now it is $12 so you have to pay even more). I followed the instructions to a T (including air stone) and in under a week it was all gone and never came back. I think 4 months later - or maybe 3 - i discovered sulfur pockets in the substrate (too fine and too deep); and i broke down and replace the substrate with something a little coarser.
-
Anyway that was my experience with cyano and my fix. The one thing that concerns me in my search on the topic is that there are different types and they might react differently. Also while I did not notice any immediate impact on fishes (my female nijjensi is still alive 2 years past treatment (i used it around Feb 14 2020) - drat i was wrong it cost 14.48 back then so it actually gone down in price - that is weird - anyway more info then you wanted. If you use it i can almost guarantee it will kill all your fishes since murphy was warned me over and over never recommend these sort of things to others.
Oh boy... I'd rather restart a tank than using any fixes.

Generally "quick fixes" are never a solution.

Gaisller

So...

First of all, thanks for the advices. I'm still fighting against the cyanos, but looks like I'm making some progress.

Second: could this be dicrossus eggs?
IMG_4961.JPG

There is something kind like sand on this rock. This is the same rock that I've been seeing the male and this female... And the female is chasing away even the tetras.

Sorry for the poor quality pic, that's all I've got with my cellphone zoom.

Thanks in advance!

Gaisller

Updating.

I think I've finally win the war against the cianos.

I used azithromycin for five days. 1 mg per liter. After the 5th day I did a 50% WC. Looks like it worked. No visible damage was noticed in the tank biology. The fishes are doing great and looking healthy.

I finished the treatment last sunday, so there are still some points with cianos, but they are gradually dying.

IMG_E7023.JPG

And here is the last photo I took of the male (before treatment is completed):

Captura de tela 2023-07-11 072737.png

Again, thank you all for the help with this anoying situation.

Gaisller

Beautiful colors.
Could you share the spot you're using please ?
By spot you mean the lighting?
If yes, I use one like this:
Captura de tela 2023-07-12 073341.png

This product it's not exclusive for aquariums but works just fine.

I also use LEDs lighting, but in the picture it was off. I reduced the ilumination for a few days to help me fight the cianos.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….