• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Dehumidifier water ?

Griz

5 Year Member
Been wondering about this for some time now...

I have a good supply of water from a dehumidifier and wondered about using it in my community tank which contains A. cacatuoides, firehead tetras, neons, one-lined pencilfish, and corydoras. My tank water is pH 7.8 / GH 9 / KH 6. The dehumidifier water is pH 7.0 / GH 0 / KH 0.

I realize that my tank water is probably just fine for my fish but I would like to know if this would work for lowering pH and hardness. If not for this tank, for fish I may like to keep in the future. Is this a good idea? Any advice, cautions etc would be appreciated.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
This water should be fine IF the reservoir & coils are not copper, nickel, or zinc coated. These can leave heavy metal toxins in the water. Also aerate the water before using.

Griz

5 Year Member
Thanks Mike. The coils appear to be aluminum but I'll have a neighbor who is more knowledgeable about such things have a look at it. I will give the unit a very good cleaning before using the water.

Griz

5 Year Member
I can see bacteria developing inside a dehumidifier if it isn't cleaned regularly They do tend to collect a lot of dust. I believe that if the unit is kept clean, it should be fine. Mike's caution about metals is the only other potential problem I can see. I think I will try this out but not in my community tank. I have a spare 15gal that I've been wanting to set up but that will not be for several weeks.

I'm still interested in your opinions or experiences.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….