• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Dead Super Red Cacatuoides juvenile

vpik001

View attachment 8265

Hi All,

Could you please help me... I bought 5 Super Red Cacatuoides juveniles three weeks ago. They are almost 3 months old and 2-3 cm long. They are healthy and have a good appetite. Everything was fine ... until today after coming home, I found one juvenile dead ((
He had a red belly on one side. The rest are fine.

I do not know what happened? Even he was the smallest one and bigger juveniles chased him a bit, but he was the fastest and ate always the most... I fed them brine shrimps yesterday and he could not stop eating. The other food I give them is tropical fish granules which they like and were fed from very young age.

Is it possible that he died as he was over fed?

I checked water conditions and everything is good. Ammonia is zero. I changed water 4 days ago.

Also, could you please tell me how much and how often I should feed them? The breeder told me that he fed them 2 times per day.

vpik001

Dead Apisto.jpg

mrjbacon

5 Year Member
Would need nitrites and nitrates as well, but sounds like aggression. That many in a small tank could easily bully one to death.

What size is the tank and what does the scape look like?

vpik001

Nitrites and nitrates are fine. The rest of other four juveniles is alive. Tank is 50l, size is 585*385*320. I will move them or some of them to 140l tank later when it is possible to sex them. There are two driftwood where they hide and big piece of moss. There are no substrate for practical reason as I feed them generously and need to clean the bottom quite often.

Last edited:

gerald

5 Year Member
Just a wild guess, but maybe gorging on the granule food before it was fully soaked? You said he was the fastest eater of the bunch, right?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….