• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Dark female cauc

sakana

5 Year Member
I have a female cauc in a community tank that is rather dark (the fish) compared to the female in my "hope they breed tank". From what I understand they "yellow up" when in the mood. So I do not expect the lonely female to be as bright as the other. However, her color is almost black/olive drabish. Seems to be active and is eating.
Is this a normal color for these fish or do I have something wrong going on?

kristina

5 Year Member
Black fish generally is not a good sign. Is it all over or are certain areas worse? First things to check for are your water parameters and what other inhabitants she is with that might be causing her stress. Do a water change and move the ornaments in the tank around a little, adding some extra caves if possible. This would only buy you some time until you figure out what is going on to make her black. Water change to better the water conditions if there is a problem with that and the ornaments in case she is being harrassed by any tank mates. It will destroy any territories they have created and she will have a chance to create some boundaries for herself, as well as being left alone while the others try to create their own territory again. Pictures will help and any more info like water params. Good Luck

james595

5 Year Member
I wouldnt be too alarmed. Females in submissive coloration can be somewhat brown, it all really depends on their surroundings. Substrate color, water params, lighting, habitat complexity are a few things that can alter the appearance of a fish.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….