• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Crenicichla notophthalmus frys

Apisto_Dezign

5 Year Member
Hi all. I have been working with these for awhile and just got these guys to breed in my 75 community tank and it has tons of frys. My question is should I remove the frys or wait till the get bigger. I don't want the other fish picking them off. I checked the cave this morning and the frys still has the egg sack still hanging on them. I lost a few when my idiot self put the cave back not being careful and a bunch floated out and was breakfast for the tetras. I need some answer please. What I'm think of doing is in a week or two I'm gonna move them into a 10gallon breeding tank and raise them that way. There isn't a lot you can find on the Internet so hoping I can find some breeders that has experience on these. Thanks in advance.

Apisto_Dezign

5 Year Member
This batch didn't turn out. They had 2 more spawn after and the last recent spawn there were Frys. I would say bout 50 or more but I still kept them in the community tank and the frys were eaten by the Rams. Well I'm waiting for another batch and I'm ready to move them into their own 10 gallon tank next time so hopefully it works out.

dwarfpike

5 Year Member
I know compressiceps and regani have been bred in 20 gallon longs, so I'm not sure I would use a 10 gallon myself. But you see their pair bond daily, I don't.

dwarfpike

5 Year Member
Rereading, you are probably right. I hope so, true noto's would be worth the 4 hour drive down there to pick some up.

Apisto_Dezign

5 Year Member
These Notos are true. The males has the first 3 fin spike just like the German Rams and the females has the ocelli (my females have two) and with the red halo. I'm glad I have a true pair and also a reverse trio. No eggs yet but the female is beginning to fatten up nicely so hopefully in the next 2 to 3 weeks I'll get another batch of eggs.

dwarfpike

5 Year Member
Awesomesauce. Noto's were my first dwarf pike, but I never bred them. I wanted to get back to them, but they are nearly impossible to find now a days (once Brazil limited their exports).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….