• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

could a dorsigera female adopt fry/eggs?

uberape

I am giving away my dorsigera pair and for ease of collection I moved them into a holding tank. The guy had to wait a couple of days and in the meantime they have spawned in the bloody holding tank. Now I don't think that guy will want the eggs as he has a community tank and the fish won't be settled, but there is another guy im giving other fry to and he has been trying to spawn dorsigera. Could one of his females adopt the eggs or hatched fry? is this got any chance of success?. The water will be different but were from the same area so it wont be fundamentally different. Ive seen my agassizi adopt live bloodworm but I know that dorsigera are not as strong parents.

gerald

5 Year Member
Years ago I had a pair of curviceps and pair of dorsigera in a divided tank. The fry from both species could get past the divider and mixed freely. Even if one pair didn't have fry of their own at the time, they seemed to stay in "parent mode" and accept the fry if the other pair was breeding. Not sure if that would have worked if they'd been in separate tanks and couldn't see and smell each other. Never seen a cichlid "adopt" worms! Would love to see video of that.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I would expect eggs to be eaten. Fry most likely would be eaten, too, especially if from a different tank. If you don't care if the eggs/fry are eaten, you could try it. Otherwise, I would artificially hatch and raise the fry like angelfish.

uberape

thanks, im going to try to convince the guy to take the fry with the parents as their best bet. I no longer have that little crazy agassizi, she would gather as many worms as she could put them in a pile and defend them against the other fish. She kept one batch safe until they stopped wriggling or disappeared into the sand; much to the frustration of all the others.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DayanaSic

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….