• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Copella (?) id?

Mazan

I got these today, sold as “Copeina” but I think they are Copella? Can anyone please identify them for me from these not very good photos? The red above the eye is quite noticeable.

4CE431C2-625E-4FE0-87C3-CF2D68E2699B.jpeg
1645AB58-7064-4154-84CB-9AB89E24B36E.jpeg

MacZ

Seen your pictures on fishlore earlier... I'm pretty positive it's a Copella species. C. compta or C. callolepis come close to your's visually. C. nigrofasciata (which in german literature are not recognized in this genus anymore) could also fit, provided they are still quite stressed.

Mazan

Yes, you are right I should let them settle down a few days then try some more photos. They are like the pencil fish, difficult to get good shots. I looked at both those species you mention as well, some photos seem to match, especially compta I think, but I don’t feel at all sure.

MacZ

some photos seem to match, especially compta I think, but I don’t feel at all sure.
I can imagine. It took me some time to find out which one is the actual one for certain names.

I have rarely problems taking pictures of the pencils. Although... good, mine are quite slow or even unmoving most of the time.

Mazan

I can imagine. It took me some time to find out which one is the actual one for certain names.

I have rarely problems taking pictures of the pencils. Although... good, mine are quite slow or even unmoving most of the time.
Yes, I believe the N. eques are much slower, the beckfords are fast, and in a big tank, which doesn’t help.

MacZ

The "hummingbirds" can become hawks if they want. Funnily enough with fully stretched fins the males look like missiles.

20211026_094731.jpg 20211026_094749.jpg

MacZ

Do it. I can only recommend them. But at least 10 will be necessary.

Our parliament will be deciding tomorrow whether imports of wild animals will be completely banned or not. If so, I will not be able to get more of these, when this batch here is gone one day.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
Nice tank.
I got these today, sold as “Copeina” but I think they are Copella? Can anyone please identify them for me from these not very good photos? The red above the eye is quite noticeable.
Copella spp. naming <"is a mess"> because some of the type specimens are too degraded to be of much use.

Have a look at @Tom C 's <"web site">, that is as good as you are going to get in terms of pictures and ID.

Also I would keep an eye out for aggression, I've kept a few species of Copella (admittedly in small number in 60cm tanks) in very weedy tanks and there have always been aggression issues, to the extent that I've never been able to keep more than one male for any length of time.

cheers Darrel

Mazan

Do it. I can only recommend them. But at least 10 will be necessary.

Our parliament will be deciding tomorrow whether imports of wild animals will be completely banned or not. If so, I will not be able to get more of these, when this batch here is gone one day.
Yes I read something about that, just in case you will have to see if yours will breed, they seem to have very suitable conditions and food.....

Mazan

Hi all,
Nice tank.

Copella spp. naming <"is a mess"> because some of the type specimens are too degraded to be of much use.

Have a look at @Tom C 's <"web site">, that is as good as you are going to get in terms of pictures and ID.

Also I would keep an eye out for aggression, I've kept a few species of Copella (admittedly in small number in 60cm tanks) in very weedy tanks and there have always been aggression issues, to the extent that I've never been able to keep more than one male for any length of time.

cheers Darrel
Thank you Darrel, I have tried getting to Tom C's web page on several occasions but the links I found never worked. The one you sent just now does work, so many thanks, I will have a good look. Interesting about the aggression issues, I thought they would be relatively peaceful, will have to keep a careful watch. The tank I have them in is 180L and has a footprint of 80 x 45, I have six individuals and I can't tell so far which are males.

MacZ

Yes I read something about that, just in case you will have to see if yours will breed, they seem to have very suitable conditions and food.....
They are spawning all the time but keep eating the eggs. I would have to set up an extra breeding tank, but no budget for that right now.

Mazan

R
They are spawning all the time but keep eating the eggs. I would have to set up an extra breeding tank, but no budget for that right now.
Right, you could probably rear them in a plastic tub with floating plants and leaf litter, you would just need a small heater? I raised a few beckfords accidentally in a 40l tank I had set up for cichlid fry but then never used as they stayed with the parents. I had transferred some water lettuce and the eggs must have been in the roots. I just left the tank for ages with no feeding before I discovered the fry in there, already fairly well grown.

Mazan

Hi all,
Nice tank.

cheers Darrel
From the Tom C website they look most like C. compta

MacZ

Right, you could probably rear them in a plastic tub with floating plants and leaf litter, you would just need a small heater? I raised a few beckfords accidentally in a 40l tank I had set up for cichlid fry but then never used as they stayed with the parents. I had transferred some water lettuce and the eggs must have been in the roots. I just left the tank for ages with no feeding before I discovered the fry in there, already fairly well grown.
N. eques are not open spawners, they lay their eggs on the underside of leaves of aquatic plants. Not every egg package sticks and those that stick get eaten by others. I would either have to move the plants or the fish. I can probably get a second hand tank from my cousin in February. Then I technically have the means to start breeding them. I'll just wait and see. No pressure to immediately start.

Mazan

N. eques are not open spawners, they lay their eggs on the underside of leaves of aquatic plants. Not every egg package sticks and those that stick get eaten by others. I would either have to move the plants or the fish. I can probably get a second hand tank from my cousin in February. Then I technically have the means to start breeding them. I'll just wait and see. No pressure to immediately start.
Yes, I was imagining that you would take out the plants with the eggs on. If you have better opportunities later on it makes sense to wait, no hurry, but it would be an interesting project.

Apistomaster

5 Year Member
I've raised a batch of about 60 of a Copella species which looked just like your fish. These Copella have a wide range so making an accurate species ID is difficult from a photo. Mine spawned in a 10 gallon bare bottom tank with the top 2cm covered with Riccia. The fry are quite small and need infusoria for the first week or so.
I think they are an underappreciated fish in our hobby.
I did not witness them spawning or the male guarding the eggs but I believe the male did provide egg care. Eggs hatch after about 36 hours. They were easy to raise once they began eating Atrtemia nauplii.

I doubt they would be as easy to spawn as Nannostomus beckfordi. I've bred those in a 1 gal specimen container.
They're another one which begin their lives as very small larvae.

Mazan

Here are some updated photos of my Copella, I am really liking them. A while ago I put some almond leaves in and while one was still mostly floating one of them was guarding and apparently fanning the leaf for several days and keeping the other fish away. I looked carefully but could not see any eggs on the leaf, and when it sank he lost interest.
IMG_1778.JPG
IMG_1780.JPG
IMG_1789.JPG
IMG_1794 2.JPG
IMG_1795.JPG

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….