1. Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Copella callolepis (sensu Zarske)

Discussion in 'South American Tank Mates' started by dw1305, Nov 26, 2019.

1. dw1305

dw1305 Well-Known Member 5 Year Member

Hi all,
    I've obtained five <"Copella callolepis"> .

I bought them as "Splash Tetra", although the vendor knew that they were another species of Copella, just not which one. We both thought they might be C. callolepis, and a look at TomC's web-site proved that is what they are.

I've only had them for a couple of weeks, but they've settled in very well and coloured up. I'm hoping they are going to spawn. I'll get a picture of them and keep you informed on how they are getting on.

I assume they are a black-water fish, mainly because they have tried eating pretty much everything including dried food, and even having a go at the Asellus, which are almost as big as them.

cheers Darrel
    Ade205, Tom C and ButtNekkid like this.
  2. dw1305

Hi all,
    They must read the forum, when I got home they had already started spawning. Three of the fish were involved, and they showed a different colour pattern, with no lateral band, just a pale cream back-ground with very prominent contrasting dark dots. The male swam round rapidly and frequently entered a saucer shaped dead Beech (Fagus sylvatica) leaf, that was caught in the floating plants at the surface, and had less than 1cm of water on top of it. Eventually both the other fish joined him (the tank lights were on and I could see there shadows from underneath), at one point all three were side by side on the leaf.

The two fish, that weren't involved, carried on foraging and retained a darker colour with lateral band.

This morning there were quite a lot of clear eggs (probably about 50) adhering to the leaf, and a couple of white ones (presumably unfertilised) loose in the water on the leaf. All the fish seemed to be behaving normally so I've left the eggs on their leaf in the tank and I'll try and get some photos this evening.

cheers Darrel
    themountain likes this.
  3. themountain

themountain Active Member 5 Year Member

Looking forward to that!!:)
  4. dw1305

Hi all,
    A video of a pair spawning last night, apologies for the quality.

There were a range of leaves available, but they used the same one as the previous evening.

cheers Darrel
    themountain and ButtNekkid like this.
  5. rasmusW

rasmusW Active Member

congrats darrel!

mine used the same leaf everytime aswell. that was also approximately 1cm. below water surface. though i wasn't as lucky as you. i didn't see any eggs.. -or maybe i just didn't know what to look for.
    is it possible to grab a picture of the eggs? -is it a small clutch of eggs or are they scattered all over the leaf?
    i hope to get some more of either callolepis or nattereri (i probably prefer nattereri), since i af a few lasting ones from earlier.

looking forward to see next update.

-r
  6. dw1305

Hi all,
    The leaf had sunk deeper into the tank and all the eggs were gone when I came home.

The eggs were all over the leaf (it is quite a small leaf), and they were smaller than those of C. arnoldi, but these are smaller fish.

They were transparent and you couldn't see them unless you lifted the leaf out. If there hadn't been a couple of white (presumably infertile) ones on the leaf, I probably would have assumed that there weren't any eggs.

cheers Darrel
  7. rasmusW

rasmusW Active Member

thanks a lot darrel!!!

better luck next time.

-r