• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Copella and A. panduro territorial dispute

rr16

5 Year Member
So my male Copella has come into breeding condition, lost his stripey background colour and is displaying at everything. He's even having some fantastic-looking displaying sessions over territroy with the A. panduro pair. Here's a video (not very good quality due to low light levels) of him displaying against the male A. panduro. Here are a few pics also of how he looks now.

Attachments

• Copella 1.jpg
    Copella 1.jpg
    205.3 KB · Views: 409
  • Copella 2.jpg
    Copella 2.jpg
    218.9 KB · Views: 391
  • Copella 3.jpg
    Copella 3.jpg
    186.3 KB · Views: 402
  • Copella 4.jpg
    Copella 4.jpg
    203.5 KB · Views: 417
  • Copella 5.jpg
    Copella 5.jpg
    173 KB · Views: 380
  • Copella 6.jpg
    Copella 6.jpg
    250 KB · Views: 386

rr16

5 Year Member
Even better was when I looked today!
P.S. Any idea what species they are?

Attachments

• Copella eggs 1.jpg
    Copella eggs 1.jpg
    273.3 KB · Views: 391
  • Copella eggs 2.jpg
    Copella eggs 2.jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 397
  • Copella eggs 3.jpg
    Copella eggs 3.jpg
    218.6 KB · Views: 371

rr16

5 Year Member
When I went to feed the fish this morning I noticed that some of the eggs have hatched and there are now some little fry, complete with large egg sacs flitting about the surface of the Hydrocotyle leucocephala!

rr16

5 Year Member
rr16,
Visit Tom & Martins apistogramma site as there is alot of Copella species on there to match watch you have. Its under "Lesiasinidae" species page
Thanks, I've already been on there and had an email conversation or two with Tom. He seems to think they are either C. eigenmanni or C. compta. Just invested in some C. arnoldi for my 5 footer so waiting for the splashing to commence now!

rr16

5 Year Member
So it's around 4 weeks later and there are a few fry left (probably 10-15) in my breeding net. I also found some other eggs and added them but they may have been from my Nannostomus eques (I guess time will tell).
Here's a not too great video with some of the fry in.
And here's one of two of the adult males having a nice sparring match in breeding dress!
and whilst this was going on I noticed the Nannostomus eques appeared to be spawning in the floaters...
Sorry, the videos are poor quality - still getting used to my new phone!

rr16

5 Year Member
So I looked amongst the Hydrocotyle leucocephala as the female was slimmer and one of the males was on patrol and chasinf my A. panduro pair away - nothing! Then I looked for the catappa leaf I had put in a couple of days ago which had been floating near the surface with a gap of about 5-10mm between it's surface and the water surface but it was nowhere to be seen! Then I found it on the bottom of the tank, complete with around 25-30 eggs stuck to it so it's gone in with the others in the breeding net, just hope they're too small still to do any harm to the eggs!

Attachments

• DSC_0109.JPG
    DSC_0109.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 325

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DayanaSic

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….