• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Chromidotilapia melanieae

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
Knock on wood and cross that the requisite appendages... my male C. melanieae is holding! Finally! :biggrin:

ed seeley

Staff member
5 Year Member
Bad luck Ted but I guess it won't be long before they try again. My Benitochromis finleyi 'Mungo' took 3 goes before they got it right and that was only a brood of 8! Couple more goes and they were churning out the babies!!! Great fish though and I wish I had space/time for more of these Chromidotilapia types. Have you bred many of these types?

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
No, not many. Most require too much tank space. I have a tank strain C. guentheri guentheri that breed small, so I can keeping them in a 20 gallon. When they start to get too big I get rid of them a raise up some juveniles all over again.

westafrica

5 Year Member
Hopefully they will make it soon Ted! Please keep us informed!

I've only kept and bred C. guntheri among Chromidotilapia, but from I could observe and guess, pair bonds strenght and experience are especially important with pair bonding bi parental mouthbrooders.

I would be very interesting in having your opinion about behavioral differences between C. guntheri / Benitochromis spp. one one side and C. melaniae on the other. If you have a little time to describe it, I would be grateful. :)

Thanks in advance! :)

ed seeley

Staff member
5 Year Member
I wrote an article about my Benitochromis breeding for the BKA but left before sending it for publication. It's too long to post on here but I could e-mail it to you if you were interested West Africa?

westafrica

5 Year Member
I wrote an article about my Benitochromis breeding for the BKA but left before sending it for publication. It's too long to post on here but I could e-mail it to you if you were interested West Africa?

Hi Ed!

Yes, I would be very interested, that is very nice of you, thanks a lot! You can find my e mail adress in my profile ;)

I would also be glad to discuss with you about the westies kept in the UK versus in France if you agree.

Regards,

Jérôme

ed seeley

Staff member
5 Year Member
Not a problem mate. Expect an e-mail shortly! I have to say I'm not keeping many types of westies at the moment, got back into keeping a few Tanganyikans again, but I'd love to chat about what's around!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….