• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Checkerboards spawned again!

Orchid

5 Year Member
My checkerboards spawned again! :D This time I was able to watch some of their mating rituals. First the female would shimmy over a leaf, then the male would shimmy over a leaf next to hers, then the female would gently nip the male's side and they would swim around a bit and do the shimmies again. The juvy male kept trying to get into the dance, so I am not sure who fertilized the eggs.

There is plenty of smooth, round rocks on the gravel, but she keeps laying eggs on lower leaves, this time it is on an Anubias coffeefolia. I really have to get them in their own tank. I was thinking a 20 gal because such a low KH and pH in a 10 gal scares me when I think of the possible pH crashes.

Neil

Way to go, Orchid! :D
Pretty fascinating watching that go on, isn't it? 8O
Was the smaller male allowed complete access to the process? That really would be unusual!
Neil

Orchid

5 Year Member
No, he would try to hedge in every now and then and the other two would ignore him or swim off or nip him away. Makes me wish I had a cam corder and I could film their display and then put it on the internet. I once down loaded a video clip of a surge device on a reef tank, that was neat.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….