• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Caves?

arringfray

5 Year Member
hey,

I know that I need to put caves in my tank but what i don't know is what size they should be. I was reading around on some threads here and I like the coconut idea, but I don't know how big the hole will need to be for the fish to be able to fit through. i was also thinking about maybe getting a peice of PVC (theres tons around my work), and turning that into a cave. i could burry it in the substrate on an angle and then just cover the exposed area by syliconing some of the substrate to it. If I was to do this thouch I don't know what size pipe to use. Which idea do you think would be better? and what size should to hole be?

I'm going to have Apistogramma cacatuoides and Apistogramma borellii

Thanks

Geoff

Z Man

5 Year Member
I always have used the 3" clay flowerpots and cut a hole no larger than my 'pinkie'. You want only enough room for them to squeeze in. If the male can't make it, don't worry as he will get his milt in there. To cut without cracking the pot I use an 8" long 'round' carbide saw that fits into your regular hacksaw handle. I buy the ones from Stanley only because they are available where I shop.

farm41

5 Year Member
If you soak the pot before cutting, they won't crack as easy.

I use 3", 2", pots and saucers.

Some use pvc, I don't like the look. 1½" or 2" will be fine, just experiment with it on length.

The fish will use nearly anything they can when it is time to reproduce.

mooman

5 Year Member
I use black film canisters. They disappear if you put rocks around the entrance, you can cut holes using a utility knife, and seem to be just the right size (they seem to small, but my panduro female prefers them over other caves). I just got some slides scanned that have a pic of the cave and my female. I will get a link to the pics soon.

arringfray

5 Year Member
ya I don't like the way to clay pots look in a tank. The coconuts can have plants grow off them and they just look more natural. As the PVC I like that idea because you can easily hide it below the substrate. Anyway Thanks for the input guys but I think I've decided on the coconuts :)

C

cloud

Does anyone know how to prepare coconut shells for aquarium use?

farm41

5 Year Member
cut in half, eat coconut meat, bring the shells to boil, then let cool. Cut or drill entrance holes, toss in tank

arringfray

5 Year Member
Its also a good idea to sand the shell afterwards a bit to make sure that there aren't any sharp edges or bures that the fish could harm itself on.

Griz

5 Year Member
I'm using coconut shells in my tank, prepared as Farm41 suggested. I'm very happy with them and so are the fish. Very natural looking and the dark colour and texture looks great in the tank.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….