• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Can't make up my mind...

M

mwood322

Hi,

I'm looking to make a foray into dwarf cichlids. I have a 20 long that can be decorated however it needs to be. My water is naturally pH 7.6, KH and GH of 2-3 degrees. I am willing to drop the pH to about 6.6, and shouldn't have any problem doing so. My main question though is from what I have available what would be a good starter attempt for me.

As a note, I do keep other fish, but I rarely treat the water for anything but chlorine. I keep catfish, barbs, and loaches, and did successfully spawn pelvicachromis pulcher, as well as a few types of barbs, and am currently working on hillstream loaches. :roll:

My choices are:
Apistogramma panduro(ini) My favorite Fish place has males and females for 10 each, and I was thinking a male and 2 females?
Apistoctamma cac (Triple Red) Pair, as they don't sell in anything but.
Pelvicachromis taenitus (Nigerian Red) pair.
Pelvicachromis humilius (Ka Sawfe or something like that) pair. *They said these guys were rare*

All are F1 or more, raised in water compareable to the fish store's. I am considering keeping them for a few weeks, making sure I have a handle on keeping them healthy, then trying to breed them.

Any opinions and information on teh above species is appreciated. I also considered julies, but my water requires a lot of work to become good for them.

Thanks,
--Mia

Neil

mwood322,

WELCOME TO THE FORUM

Glad you are going to give dwarfs a whirl! Panduro is an excellent choice and a beautiful fish. If you bring you pH down a little, as you suggested, you should be able to have the favorable conditions for them to breed. A trio would be good, but one female might not have such a good time when breeding time comes. Unless you get lucky and spawn them simulaneously!! :D Cacatuoides is probably a better choice for someone with little experience in water manipulation, but it sound like you are willing to do the work.
West African Pelvicachromis species are all on the rough side and a 20g would be pressing your luck with humilus(probably Kasewe- beautiful fish!). But the taeniatus should be OK.
As you said, your water is already close to what you want for the first 4 species that you mention, but a little further away from what would be ideal for Julies. However, I have had a breeding colony of J. marleri "Gombi" for several years that started breeding in a plant tank with little hardness and a pH of about 6. This however, is an exception and not the rule.
You have some nice choices at your LFS, sodefinitely take advantage. The choice is more a matter of what you really want and think is nice, because the water adjustment are small for you. Have fun and let us know what you decide.
Neil

M

mwood322

Well, everywhere I've asked people suggest the cac's, so If they're still there when I get back tomorrow, I'll get a pair, provided they look good. Otherwise the Nigerian Red's

Thanks,
--Mia

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….