• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Can't find leaves? Fake leaves?

Lucky7777

It's currently spring here in Canada and and there is only new growth on all the trees around here. I've been looking for oak leaves and there may be some leaves that didn't rot away in the bush over the winter and that's it.

It seems like oak leaves would be what I'm looking for. My question is when new growth gets bigger could I cut off some branches and let the leaves slowly die and then harvest them or is there a better alternative until fall?

Is there ways to just make fake leaves for the apisto's to hang out in and use moss to get the blackwater look?

ste12000

5 Year Member
Hi Lucky7777, welcome to the forum..

Im not exactly sure if the unnatural drying of fresh leaves would work? ive never tried it as ive only ever used dead leaves that have fallen naturally!

Why not have a look at Indian Almond leaves, they are large and you can cut them into sections to make them stretch further, they will add tannins and allow the fish to hide amongst them.

Lucky7777

Hi Lucky7777, welcome to the forum..

Im not exactly sure if the unnatural drying of fresh leaves would work? ive never tried it as ive only ever used dead leaves that have fallen naturally!

Why not have a look at Indian Almond leaves, they are large and you can cut them into sections to make them stretch further, they will add tannins and allow the fish to hide amongst them.

Where do you find Indian Almond Leaves? Never mind it looks like eBay is the best place.

gerald

5 Year Member
I can find shed oak leaves on the ground year-round here in NC, either in the woods or where thy've been raked or blown into piles or under bushes. Do they really decay before spring in Canada? I would have guessed they would last longer in a colder climate. Dried green leaves will have more sugars and compounds that decay quickly -- all the stuff that normally drains OUT of the leaf and into the branches during fall.

Lucky7777

I can find shed oak leaves on the ground year-round here in NC, either in the woods or where thy've been raked or blown into piles or under bushes. Do they really decay before spring in Canada? I would have guessed they would last longer in a colder climate. Dried green leaves will have more sugars and compounds that decay quickly -- all the stuff that normally drains OUT of the leaf and into the branches during fall.

I don't know if they became more or less but they definitely get wet and decay under the snow. I do have some under my patio but they're all maple trees I cant find any oak. pretty sure winters are much worse here and a lot more snow.
either way ordered almond leaves from amy on ebay. I think 200 grams of class b for 25 dollars delivered.

Matt1892

Aquabid is also another alternative for Indian almond leaves but I think you got a good price compared to what I have seen on there. Canada is way to cold but if you are climate zones 5-7 (i found mine on a garden website) you can plant your own almond trees. Been considering it lately, if I did it would be the first time I raked the leaves around my place in years haha.

Lucky7777

Aquabid is also another alternative for Indian almond leaves but I think you got a good price compared to what I have seen on there. Canada is way to cold but if you are climate zones 5-7 (i found mine on a garden website) you can plant your own almond trees. Been considering it lately, if I did it would be the first time I raked the leaves around my place in years haha.

The Amy girl i bought them from on Ebay also sells them on aquabid.she had really good reviews.

i think we are zone 3 and it would get to cold here for the almond trees.

sasikan

I don't know if they became more or less but they definitely get wet and decay under the snow. I do have some under my patio but they're all maple trees I cant find any oak. pretty sure winters are much worse here and a lot more snow.
either way ordered almond leaves from amy on ebay. I think 200 grams of class b for 25 dollars delivered.
i am in New_Brunswick Canada i found oak leaves in a nearby park last week they were all along the fences i am pretty sure if you walk around your town you will find some!

Lucky7777

i did find some but they were all rotten from sitting all winter and the ones that weren't, just looked terrible. at least in a couple weeks I'll have a nice big bag of almond leaves :)

gerald

5 Year Member
Rotten is OK - that's what they're supposed to do. But if you dont want little leaf fragments all over the tank (fish wont mind them a bit), put the rotting leaves in a bucket of water for several days and then pour through a fine net into your tank. You'll get the tannins, lignins, and other beneficial dissolved organic matter without the leaf particles.

sasikan

Rotten is OK - that's what they're supposed to do. But if you dont want little leaf fragments all over the tank (fish wont mind them a bit), put the rotting leaves in a bucket of water for several days and then pour through a fine net into your tank. You'll get the tannins, lignins, and other beneficial dissolved organic matter without the leaf particles.
are you trying to bring down your ph ? peat moss will help i add peat moss to a woman's pantyhose (there my wife don't get any weird ideal )it will turn your water yellowish - gold after a wile.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DayanaSic

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….