• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Can peat moss help me?

wtusa1783

So I lost my apistogramma today and I am greatly saddened. My ph out of the tap is 7.8-8. I had a pair and now only a female. I want to try breeding them again but this time in their own tank. It would be a 20 high with 1, maybe 2 pairs. I would get drift wood to release tannins and Indian almond leaves to do the same. I would get some live oak leaves from my live oak tree in my backyard that are dead and bake them just for the leaf litter. Would putting some peat moss in the filter help release tannins and lower ph and soften water? Since it would be a decent tank size I would only have to do 10% water changes weekly and I would refill the tank slowly so I don’t think it would affect the fish so much. Opinions?

wtusa1783

Hi all, Really just RO or rain-water. Some Apistogramma species will survive in harder water.

I have hard tap water (about 18dKH/dGH), but I use rain-water in the tanks. I <"live in the UK">, so it rains a lot and it makes this an option.

cheers Darrel
Ok. This was captive bred so from my understanding it is fine in my water. It has been in the hobby for 30 years so it’s not very picky. I think it had a disease of some sort. It was pineconing when it died.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….