• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Can I keep a pair of Borrelli with an unpaired male Apistogramma Iniridae?

Memeboi

Everyone who has replied to this thread has told you otherwise, as well as the fact that there is countless research on keeping apistos with sand.

If your gourami has gotten fin damage from artificial decor in your aquarium, its likely the same will happen to your apistos, seeing as they are much more boisterous and curious generally.
I mean that it wasn't a good idea in the sense of removing the gravel, there's a good 3 inches all over

MacZ

I think we can all agree that you've been advised badly before you came here and that a steep learning curve is now necessary to get you to be able to keep Apistogramma in appropriate conditions. That also means you will have to un-learn some stuff you have learned before and revise your knowledge.

Your biggest problem right now seems to be a combination of low budget (got a job already or only your allowance?) and adhering to wrong/incomplete information you have been given before.

Usually I would say: "Go, gather your own experiences". But as this is not a hobby as any other where you can just put the stuff aside when it isn't going work out that way.
Fishkeeping, like keeping any other animal, comes with the responsibility for their wellbeing. Because if you do something wrong in fishkeeping liveforms get hurt and die. And quicker so than most other pets.

So I implore you:
- To read up on the topic thoroughly. This forum and the other sites I linked on the first page have tons of information. If your questions are not answered there you can still ask, but please do not expect us to talk you through all the steps here.

- And to FIRST get your tank ready and appropriate for the fish you want to keep, before you buy them. It may be the case that you are going to burn the fishstore you ordered the borellii at if you don't take them, but they can't make you buy fish you can't house properly. So get over feeling obligated to buy them, the wellbeing of the fish always takes precedence to our own comfort. If that means leaving them at the store, then so be it. Abstinence can safe fish lives.

And one last thing before I leave this thread: If you do not want to breed them, do not buy a pair. If it's just supposed to be a display tank stick to the one fish you have and make the tank comfortable for it.
And in anticipation of that question: No, don't keep a single male A. borellii with the fish you already have there.

Sermon over. Good luck, then. ;)

Samala

Popping in with an offer: If you take all of the advice given above and update the 37g (more plants, rehome aggie/gourami, substrate swap), I'll send you borrellii for free once the tank has matured a bit and shipping temps are agreeable for travel to the Philly-area.

You wouldn't have to mess with the water much, if at all. Tap in my area runs 120-160ppm TDS and pH 6.8 - 7.4 and the borrellii are very happy in it. I started with a pair and now have a sizeable colony plus a few satellite tanks.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….