• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Can everyone please offer a opinion..

ste12000

5 Year Member
I dont use Facebook often, theres not usually anything to interest me and i prefer the forums.. However Heiko has recently posted on Apistogramma barlowi and id like other people to back up my arguement that the picture is of the wrong species..

Im not one of these people who dislike Heiko, many on the internet argue with him on a regular basis but i am a very big fan. I have followed his work for many years and have his books on Discus which i rate as the best available.. However his Apistogramma identification may need some work..

Is the fish pictured the true A.juruensis??

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php...1546381131&type=1&theater&notif_t=photo_reply

Stoke_Apisto

Hey up Ste, totally agree 100% not barlowi, I've currently got 4 pairs breeding of the red morph, had the white morph in the past. Firstly the head is completely the wrong shape, barlowi is more 'pointed'. Secondly every male barlowi I've ever had has had an half orange caudal fin. Finally it's simply not barlowi! lol

At a guess I'd say schwarzkinn/juruensis (still not convinced these are different)

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
Steve, I'm famously cr*p at ID's, but I'm not sure that it is A. barlowi either. I don't think it is A. "Schwarzkinn", because of the blue lips, but A. juruensis, or A. cacatuoides or something close to, would be my guess as well.

You will probably have to wait for Mike or Tom C to give a definitive ID.

I think one reason why people fall out with Heiko, is that he never changes his mind. It is a shame, because he has done great things and is a passionate advocate of conservation, but it often ends up in mutual recrimination.

<http://www.apistogramma.com/forum/showthread.php?8468-Biotoecus-sp-quot-Rio-Tapajos-quot&highlight=bleher+biotecus>

cheers Darrel

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Well, obviously it is not A. barlow, but I can't say which cacatuoides-group species it is. The photo shows none of the diagnostic dark markings. Pretty for a picture but worthless for identification. Also, neither A. barlowi nor A. juruensis is known to occur in the Río Yavarí system.

Rolo

5 Year Member
Hi,

it's not the best photo to ID the fish, but as I wrote there, I think it's A. cacatuoides or a close related (maybe new) species, but for sure not A. barlowi.

regards,
Rolo

Microman

5 Year Member
As i said via email Steve its definately not A.barlowi. The pics do not show many diagnostic features but i wouldnt be surprised at all if it wasnt A.juruensis.
As Mike says its not reported from the Yavari valley but their reported distribution range is not too far away at all. Tom and i had fingers crossed that we might possibly find it in the Yavari region in 2010 but found neither A.juruensis, A.cacatuoides or A.barlowi.
Just beautiful A cf.huascar and A.agassizii.
Heiko found this fish in 1996-97 i think, almost 15 years ago so why post it on Facebook now?
Mark...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DayanaSic

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….