• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Can an all male group of A. Borelli work in a 20L planted tank

nuimom

5 Year Member
Aloha, new to the group, nice to be here.
I have a planted 20L tank. I would like to create a peaceful tank with A. Borelli, I have 2 very young fish that seemed to be a pair when I bought them, but now the smaller may actually be a she/male? There has been alot of tail wagging and coconut cave hanging and courtship like behavior. Now the larger male seems to just want to keep the smaller ?M/F on the run. I have bred other Apistos before, but just want a fun community tank with them as part of it.
My question would be, if i were to add 2 or 3 more small males to the group, I know it would lesson the aggression on the one, but would it mellow out the tank? I thought maybe an all male tank could work, but need advice on that as I have never done that and in a community tank. Or would I be better off returning one and just keep a single male. I hate to see a lone fish, but better than a constant chase on one poor little guy.

Thank you in advance, nuimom

Drayden Farci

5 Year Member
If there are enough caves, it would probably work. A. borelli are a fairly peaceful species of Apisto. They can be hard to sex when young since the males don't have any extended dorsal rays like other fish - they develop the longer dorsal but later in life. It would definitely be better to return the male for a female if possible, but I don't know your situation. With enough caves to choose from they shouldn't argue too much.

nuimom

5 Year Member
If there are enough caves, it would probably work. A. borelli are a fairly peaceful species of Apisto. They can be hard to sex when young since the males don't have any extended dorsal rays like other fish - they develop the longer dorsal but later in life. It would definitely be better to return the male for a female if possible, but I don't know your situation. With enough caves to choose from they shouldn't argue too much.

nuimom

5 Year Member

Thank you Drayden, I have lots of caves, large rocks and plants to block line of sight. There is chasing, but it doesn't seem to last long and then they seem to court each other with wagging and going in and out of caves together. Maybe since they are so small and young I should just set tight and let them grow up a bit. The shop I got them from had only males left, the smaller one I got seemed most female like. The larger one is for sure a male, he has colored up. The little one was getting dark on her pectoral fins and more dark lines thru her eyes. She has little blue BUT she never did get all yellow, her body type seemed more female too. They are both under an inch and she ( if she is a she?) is just over 3/4 inch. I teased the shop owner he was selling fry, not fish lol.
Someone had mentioned on another thread Borelli are slower to mature than some of the other Apistos. This is my first time with the Borelli. I really love them. Thanks for your input :)

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Without seeing your 'female' - but based on their behavior - they appear to be doing some pre-spawning courtship rituals. The chasing could be due to the male wanting to breed, but the female isn't ready.

nuimom

5 Year Member
Without seeing your 'female' - but based on their behavior - they appear to be doing some pre-spawning courtship rituals. The chasing could be due to the male wanting to breed, but the female isn't ready.

Thank you so much for the quick response. I have fingers crossed that this is what is happening too:)
At least they are not showing aggression, will post as the relationship progresses.
Thanks again Mike

yukondog

5 Year Member
Please update as you go, I'm about to order another male for my female and would like to bead them [ just jumping into the apisto world] my male died about a month after getting them, the female is doing great, also ordering a pair of hongsloi, I would like to hear how yours are doing and any tips you can give.

nuimom

5 Year Member
Aloha, so far still not sure if i have two males or a pair. They are quite young. No aggression, lots of courtship like behavior but female/male? not colored up or receptive.
They go in and out of the coconut huts and wag and dance, no locking jaws or aggression, some chasing but all in all they get along.
I added more huts, more plants and 11 Harliquin Rasboras that have started spawning, so lots more distractions and it has eased the tension I think.
I did not set this up for a breeding tank, just a fun community tank. Also have 6 Habrosus cory, some neons and lace guppy. Colorful fun tank.

As far as tips, I would be sure to have room for both breeding pairs to set up territories. Lots of plants and have lots of caves/huts for escape and breeding choices.
I had hubby help me make my coconut huts, there are some with just a door and some have lots of windows as well, those are great for swimming thru to escape unwanted advances.

I know this site has good info on Apistogrammas, so ck out the forums, they are a wealth of knowledge!!! I am constantly learning, love that about this hobby. Good luck, will update as the A. borelli story unfolds :)
Aloha nuimom

Siggi

Hi, everybody.
@nuimom, be careful not to overstock your tank.
You mentioned it was a 20 liter. With a dozen rasboras, some cories and some neon tetras -- it seems crowded...
If your Apistos are still juveniles, let them work things out, eventually pair out. But once theiy do, you should think about a larger tank, especially if you want the apistos to breed.
Another issue with overstocking is the risk of degrading water quality. In a large tank, the internal surfaces of glass, rocks and plants will house many more beneficial de-nitrifying bacteria than a small tank.

I haven't seen the aquarium in question (obviously!) and this is not a statement of facts, just a heads up to anticipate a problem.

Good luck.

nuimom

5 Year Member
Thanks Siggi, my tank is a 20 gallon long :))) not liters.
I forget the world uses liters, I'm still in the land of gallons lol.
I think things are settling down, but am starting to think the smaller is a tiny male, he is almost stunted.
He seem healthy other than his tiny size, the two were in the same batch of fry.
He is getting the same color now as the larger one that I know is a male.
I do have 5 neons, 11 baby Harilquin Rasboras and 5 tiny Habrosus cory.
The tank is heavily planted and has 4 huts with lots escape windows,doors and flow thru them.
Kinda nice in a way to have the odd couple, with two males, there will be no egg or fry guarding in this tank :)

Siggi

Ah, ok then. "20L" was misleading to me. 20 gallons is a little better. If you maintain a high level of complexity in your setup, you should be fine.
You should be wary of your maintenance, waterchanging and measurement of (especially) nirtates.

Keep posting on the forum.
;)

nuimom

5 Year Member
Aloha, no worries on maintenance lol I am on overdrive when it comes to water quality :)
Do 7 gallon water changes daily, and watch feeding, that is the hardest for me, love to see um eat. especially live food!.Hatch out Brine Shrimp.
Someone told me I don't need my filter with all that I have going on, but still have an AquaClear 50 on low setting so I don't wash anyone way.
This is such a great and informed group.
Happy this forum is still up.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonaldStype

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….