• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Can’t get them to breed

Jimaco

I can not get my apisto to breed I have to pairs with no results in a Harvey planted tank being fed live food what can I do to help speed things up

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Agree with others. We need more information: species (age and properly sexed?), water maintenance, water values, temperature, tank size and layout, lighting, and location (room it is located in, including height above the floor). All these can have a bearing on success or failure.

Jimaco

Species might help as well as water condition.
Apistogramma agassizii and I know I have soft water but not sure on the ph I have them in 10 gallon heavy planted tank with two breeding caves with leaf cover and tannins in the water

Jimaco

Agree with others. We need more information: species (age and properly sexed?), water maintenance, water values, temperature, tank size and layout, lighting, and location (room it is located in, including height above the floor). All these can have a bearing on success or failure.
I have them under semi strong grow light, temp is at 81F I have the tank the back of room in walk in closet about 2 feet of the ground

anewbie

Apistogramma agassizii and I know I have soft water but not sure on the ph I have them in 10 gallon heavy planted tank with two breeding caves with leaf cover and tannins in the water
Ph is less important than water hardness; however a 10 gallon is way too small; given the aggressive cycle between male and female one will end up dead. My guess is that are not yet sexually mature; else the male would be chasing the female until she is ready to breed; and once she has laid eggs she will attack him relentlessly.
Pictures would help....

Also 81 is on the warm side for this species. That won't stop them from breeding; just isn't optimal.

MacZ

Can you test the water? pH is not an indicator of hardness btw.
A 10 can be too small if structured incorrectly, so a picture would be a great help.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DayanaSic

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….