• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

California Blackworms

dhm325

5 Year Member
I feed them to my fish frequently. Make sure that you rince them well at least once per day and store them in a cool place. I use tap water to rince them once thoroughly (the chlorine won't hurt the worms) and then rince one more time with seasoned water to get rid of any residual chlorine. When feeding I usually chop the worms up and then rince the chopped pieces in a brine shrimp net and tank water once more before feeding. I use a turkey baster for feeding. My fish really like the worms fed to them this way. Its mayhem in my grow-out tanks when the fish think they are going to get worms.

farm41

5 Year Member
I have been feeding CBW for 2 years and never had any disease or parasites in my tanks. I keep them in a 10g tank outside in the garage with an airstone going and change the water 2 times a week. I feed them with old flake fish food, and bring a 1/4lb or so of them inside as needed for feeding to the fish, in the fridge they are kept in one of the worm keepers. I use the worms whole and just scoop them out with a fork.

M0oN

5 Year Member
The most common problem with feeding CBW is an outbreak of hexamita, fortunately for these internal flagellites to break out they will need a lot more then just introduction, the fish must have a weakened immune system. All fish carry this parasite for life, if you notice white stringy poo or your fish stop eating, treat with hex-a-mit.

I don't feed them to my discus anymore as they break out with hexamita almost every time I try, they are sensitive to the disease, though.

M0oN

5 Year Member
It's somewhat hard to spot and discus are overly sensitive to the effects of hexamita, most cichlids can tough it out and their immune system gets the parasites back into check before it does so much damage that they can't eat.

Just a tid bit of information I thought I'd mention, I'm not familiar with how sensitive apisto's are to disease yet :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….