• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Cac's lateral line is kinked

curviceps

5 Year Member
Hello!

One of my cac fries has coloured up nicely but there is a kink on its lateral line (since birth). Please see the pic below... is it a deformity? When viewed from above, its spine does not look bent sideways.

kink.jpg

Thanks!

ed seeley

Staff member
5 Year Member
It does look like a spinal abberation, just in a vertical plane. I have to say I wouldn't use that fish for breeding personally, but the cause of the deformity may not be genetic - the problem is you can never know. Do other fish in the brood show any problems?

NB the lateral line is a series of sensory pores on the side of the fish. In cichlids this is actually two disjointed lines, but in most fish it's one continuous series of holes.
What I think you're referring to is the dark lateral stripe that your cac is showing in the picture.

Refael Hdr.

5 Year Member
Ed is right, it is called the lateral band. I can see from the picture that his body shape is a little deformed too, am I right?
Does the dorsal fin spreads straightly or is it a bit wavy?...

curviceps

5 Year Member
Hey guys, thanks for your comments.

The picture is not that great. The dorsal fins look quite normal when they spread out.

To be safe, I will not use it for breeding. Its siblings do not have this problem, so I wondered whether this is a genetic deformity.

Cheers
TM

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….