• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Cacatuoides with Zebra loaches?

FishMachell

Hi all, just about to upgrade to a 240 litre long tank (63 US gallons) and wanted to know if my cacatuoides pair would be okay with some (around 6) zebra loaches? Any advice very welcome, thank you! The apistos will have plenty of caves and a sand substrate and have done quite well in my current 90 litre.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Probably not. Breeding apistos do not want other bottom-dwelling fish invading their breeding territory. In so many words, a community tank is not a breeding tank.

FishMachell

Thanks Mike! Would you say that rules out any other bottom dwellers? I currently have a clown pleco and have had no problems, even when the apistos have been breeding.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Plecos have a habit of entering breeding caves at night and disturbing brooding females, in not actually eating eggs/larvae. If you are having success breeding apistos with plecos it is because the tank is large enough and laid out so they do not interact with each other very much.

FishMachell

Yes, they tend to keep to their own corners and I have tried to create specific territories for each, which seems to have worked. I will consider this for the upgraded tank, too. Thanks for your advice, very much appreciated!

yukondog

5 Year Member
I would not do any loaches with breeding apisto's, even if the apisto's can keep them out of the breeding cave once the fry comes out, I would think they would be snacks for six loaches.

anewbie

zebra loaches are pretty docile but they are also not small relative to a female cacatuoides. Certainly if they were not breeding it would be fine but you should expect them to visit any area of a tank less than 8 feet. I have some in a 120 and while a lot calmer than the yoyo they still like to explore edge to edge daily.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonaldStype

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….