• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

cacatuoides question

cageman

5 Year Member
hi there,

the last week I was studying different colour forms of cacatuoides and came up with some questions.
there are a few common names I know, tripple red, double red an so on.
but some cac's have completely orange/red fins. is there a separate name for this kind. I believe it is called orange flash but I'm not sure.
can anyone please take the time to tell me the different color forms with a short discription
thanx,

cageman

cageman

5 Year Member
so we have:
double red: dorsal and caudal fins
tripple red: dorsal, caudal and anal fins
orange flash completely orange fins

but are the orange and red the same or is there also a different name for the two colours?
and what about the yellow colour forms? do they have the same names as the orange/red ones?
a lot of questions I know. but I'm really curious what you all think.

Greg PL

5 Year Member
imagine you "cross" tripple red with orange flash - the offsprings will probably show various coloration more or less similar to one of the parents. if you look at the rainbow you will not pinpoint the moment where red is no more red, but orange. also the black markings will differ. is it still a black ring or rather some greyish splash...?

who needs a name for a different finneage color? there's enough mess with all the species' "trade names".

All mentioned cacatuoides strains are the product of selective breeding. the fish obtained this way are often more sensitive to diseases, less prolific, more aggressive, live shorter, and anyhow produce some odd colored offsprings.
see "baloon long fin ram" for reference to "selective breeding" ;)

cageman

5 Year Member
Greg PL said:
who needs a name for a different finneage color? there's enough mess with all the species' "trade names".

what is the effort in naming a few cacatuoides strains. it is not like we have to disect them and scientifically describe them.
I'm just interested in what kinds we know and how we call them.
I'm not sure if all strains are tank bred and selected. there are a lot, I know, but there are also various colour variations in the wild.

Greg PL

5 Year Member
well, what happened in the breeders' tanks surely happened earlier in the wild. but most of the "natural experiments" failed to various reason.

the problem with different names is, that they can gradualy replace the valid name. beginners will think of different strains as of different species. within a few years they're no longer beginners, but old habbits remain unchanged. and so we come up with A. sp. "Opal" :) (even if the story was a bit different with this one)

I encountered "jelow" cacs in Poland (English knowledge is not that good in Poland) as well as "yellow flesh" or "yellow flash" in addition to those mentioned before. I also saw "triple red", with red fins, but without black markings. I saw albino with orange fins on some Czech website.
I am sure the Far East "engineers" will come up with a green one soon and perhaps a baloon form is in progress ;)

cageman

5 Year Member
indeed, what some breeders bring us, is not always acceptable.
I am absolutely against too rigorous forms like 'baloon' body or 'butterfly' fins and so on.
but you are right there are always new morphs on the market. and names can be temporary. but I know enough about the cac now :cool:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mugsey2

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….