• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

cacatuoides double red Add Tag

Nathanh2150

Hi all,
I have recently purchased a breeding pair of cacatuoides double red Male/Female they are in there own tank with almond leaves coconut shell aqua soil and bubble filter aquatic plants. The first week I had them they spawned which was amazing I was told to remove the male to allow the female to look after the eggs and fry . The next couple of days the female had seemed to eat the eggs I don’t know if they where fertilised or just not the best as this is there very first time spawning and are still learning the ropes. So I decided to re add the male but I have noticed that the male keeps nipping at the female and hunting for her in the aquarium also has gone a dark black colouration but the fins and tail are bright red. I haven’t done anything different doing weekly water changes of 25% feeding daily to once every other day with brine shrimp/blood worm/dafnia/ flake food. The female is a bright yellow colour. I’m just curious on why the male is acting the way he is the temperature of the tank has not changed hitting around 27’c.

any help would be much appreciated

yukondog

5 Year Member
If you haven't already, I would remove the male of female before one of them winds up dead. What size tank? At one point she looked like she wanted to breed but why he is black, stress maybe for some reason? I have males that want to breed and chase the females but not like that.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Polygamous apisto males, like A. cacatuoides, are only interested in females ready to breed. If not ready, the female is driven from the male's territory in hopes that another female will replace her. His black color may be due to the color of the substrate. He is trying not to stand out where predators can easily see him.

Nathanh2150

Hi Mike,
I have removed the male from the tank and added him into my aquascaper 900 gonna give them a week apart before re adding him into the tank to try again with breeding. And I did think that about the colouration as now his back in my bigger tank his colours have gone back to normal.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….