• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Caca trio in heavily planted 20g long?

Thalassa

I have a heavily planted and very structured 29G same footprint as a 20G long. wondering if that would be enough for a trio 1 male and 2 female caca?

Attachments

• cac.jpeg
    cac.jpeg
    842.2 KB · Views: 94

MacZ

Heavily planted and very structured are subjective terms.

I see at least a pair already in the tank. Planning on adding a second female? Just don't. The tank's too small.

Thalassa

I have a 10 with a single male, would that be a better option for her?

Attachments

• 20221026_151005.jpg
    20221026_151005.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 93
Last edited:

MacZ

No. It is even smaller and less structured than the other one.

By structure I mean something like this:
The lowest 10-15cm have to be sight blocked. Otherwise males will follow females relentlessly.
structure dwarf cichlids.jpg
structure dwarf cichlids2.jpg structure dwarf cichlids3.jpg
This tank was not designed for Apistogramma, but you can well see how to create structure.

MacZ

if I add a lot of driftwood to the 10 to obstruct lines of sight could that be sufficient?
Not longterm. That tank size is actually only useful for a breeding setup, when the male is removed after they spawned.

MacZ

Then, if you have a third tank to move the male to, use the smaller one with better structure and remove the male after spawning.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sortof_here

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….